05' wr 450 wheels

10 replies to this topic
  • bandy1

Posted July 02, 2008 - 07:34 AM

I'm all seached out here and elsewhere for a simple question.
Will wr 400 wheels fit my 05' wr 450 .. Please...:thumbsup:

• knucklehead

Posted July 02, 2008 - 07:46 AM

I'm all seached out here and elsewhere for a simple question.
Will wr 400 wheels fit my 05' wr 450 .. Please...:thumbsup:

the wheel size on the 05 is 21" in the front and 18" in the rear - what's the sizes on the 400 - what year is the 400?

• knucklehead

Posted July 02, 2008 - 08:06 AM

bandy1 - according to the rockymtnatv website a 18 or 19" rear will fit and a 21" is the front wheel size. i searched using a yamaha 1999 400F.

• DB_Cooper

Posted July 02, 2008 - 04:37 PM

1999-2008 Yamaha wheels all have the same hubs. 5ET id code stamped on the rear.
Make sure you get a 2.15 wide rim for your 450. The yz 125 and 250f use a narrower rim.
The 2009 models are suppose to be having new "lighter" hubs so we shall see if they fit the older models.:thumbsup:

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 02, 2008 - 04:44 PM

1999-2008 Yamaha wheels all have the same hubs. 5ET id code stamped on the rear.
Make sure you get a 2.15 wide rim for your 450. The yz 125 and 250f use a narrower rim.
The 2009 models are suppose to be having new "lighter" hubs so we shall see if they fit the older models.:thumbsup:

Are we talking just rear? I know the front hub on the WR's has changed over the years, changes are at the ODO drive side...... If you have no interest in the ODO then yes the front wheels are interchangeable with a YZ spacer or ODO eleminator like flatland sells.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted July 02, 2008 - 04:46 PM

Also - I know the spacers at least looked different on my 99' compared to my 04' but it might just be looks and how the dust cover is shaped, the actual spacer may be the same.

• Frostbite

Posted July 03, 2008 - 04:18 AM

I have 99 WR wheels mounted on my 07 450. The rear was identical. The front spacer is different on the ODO drive, so I had to switch the spacer and a bearing to leave the 07 ODO drive mounted. If you don't need the ODO drive (maybe the 05 will still work) then the front wheel will bolt right up, no mods.

• bandy1

Posted July 03, 2008 - 05:44 AM

Thanks for the input.Hey frostbite , what did you change about the bearing in the front? ID ? and also interested in what is the difference with the spacer..

• mikeythefokker

Posted July 03, 2008 - 08:49 PM

The 400 wheels will fit on the 450 but you need to use the original 450 wheel spacers. You should switch the brake rotor as the wave rotors on the 07 are larger than the rear rotors on the older bikes, and while the 400 rotor will work on the 450, it will cost you some bite. Also, the wave rotor from the 450 will not clear the caliper on the 400. I have an 07 wr450 and a 99 yz250 and I mix and match wheels all the time. A lot of other yamaha parts mix and match along other years too. It's really convenient.

• Frostbite

Posted July 04, 2008 - 05:55 AM

Thanks for the input.Hey frostbite , what did you change about the bearing in the front? ID ? and also interested in what is the difference with the spacer..

The 99 wheel bearing is recessed in the hub about 1/4 inch, but the 07
wheel bearing is close to flush with the hub, which is why the 07 ODO drive won't match up.

The 07 has narrower wheel bearings, about half the thickness of the 99. I wanted to use my 07 ODO so I looked for a way to make it work.

I popped the ODO side bearing out of the 07 wheel, and set it in the 99 hub right beside the original bearing (so there are now 2 bearings on the ODO side). Then the 07 ODO drive and spacer match right up and fit perfectly.

The bearing popped out of the 07 wheel very easily, and slips in and out of the 400 wheel without tools.

In this photo you can see the 07 wheel with the bearing out.

Posted Image

In this photo you can see the 99 wheel with the bearing still in, and there's exactly enough room to slip the 07 bearing in beside it.

Posted Image

One final note - I never did have the ODO actually working, although I'm sure it would have. I bought the 07 and brought it to the Arctic in February. I had spiked tires on my 400, which is why I swapped wheels. My first ride on the 450 was in February with the spiked tires. All the work to make the ODO drive work was in vain. It was -35 when I rolled the bike out the door for it's first run. The 07 ODO wire coating is very stiff and when I rolled the bike down my front step, the wire snapped when the forks compressed.

Posted Image

A YZ wheel will bolt right up, or you can bolt up a WR wheel with it's ODO spacer, just plug the hole where the cable screws in. If you want the ODO to work, the bearing swap is easy to do.

Cheers

Frosty

• bandy1

Posted July 05, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Thank you all very much for the replies..
Got the wheels and they fit perfect.
I was concerned about nothing..
What a top site this is!

Bandy:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.