07yz450. Bogs/dies when throttle wacked open, no prob w/choke on. Ideas?

6 replies to this topic
  • Davey762

Posted July 02, 2008 - 07:34 AM

Hi guys,

My bro recently bought a used 07 yz450, bike runs well and is in great shape aside from one little problem. When going slow enough, or low rpm in any gear really.... the bike will bog out, die when going from pretty much 1/8th throttle to full throttle or almost full throttle. Yet, it does not do it with the choke on.... which leads me to believe the bike would need a larger pilot jet, correct? Also thinking larger pilot because the bike pops pretty bad on deceleration.

Also, the bike has a full fmf exhaust system, sunline fuel screw as well. Tuning the fuel screw has had little affect on the problem, but like I said, the problem goes away with the choke on.

Thanks,Dave.

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2008 - 11:02 AM

Decel popping can be either an air leak in the exhaust system, or a lean idle circuit. Eliminate the exhaust first, then consider the pilot.

Check the jetting specs thread at the top of the index for this forum to see if anyone with a similar '07 has posted.

Also, don't expect any 4-stroke to be able to tolerate having the throttle "whacked open" without a protest. Learn to roll the throttle open more smoothly (not more slowly). Trying to "fix" this completely through jetting and AP mods will give you a bike that's way too fat on the bottom.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

http://www.thumperta...599#post3710599

• Davey762

Posted July 02, 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I do understand 4 strokes generally do not like to have the throttle opened very quickly, but it doesnt do it whatsoever with the choke on, so I'd at least like to acheive response like that.... or somthing more acceptable than what it is.

Also, I've ridden two other 07 yz450's and they both did have a bog worse than my crf... but still were both better than my bros. I will read up on the topics you posted and see what I can conclude, thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2008 - 11:52 AM

I do understand 4 strokes generally do not like to have the throttle opened very quickly, but it doesnt do it whatsoever with the choke on, so I'd at least like to acheive response like that.... or somthing more acceptable than what it is.

That would be nice, and it is achievable to some degree. But I think you'd agree that although the throttle response may be great with the choke on, the performance is otherwise not acceptable in that mode, which was what I was getting at.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 02, 2008 - 12:04 PM

sounds like it needs some carb cleaning and jetting help to rid of most of the bog.....search for other ways to rid of it.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted July 02, 2008 - 06:38 PM

Your 07 shouldnt bog when you get on the gas like that. It should be able to pound out from low throttle input to full.

But treating the throttle on the yzf like a 2 stroke is trouble!

• crf250r985

Posted July 02, 2008 - 06:49 PM

Dave, where are you from in ontario?? i'm from ottawa we should ride!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.