08 wr450 coolant hose melted

9 replies to this topic
  • frye22

Posted July 02, 2008 - 06:35 AM

so i just got done changing the oil on my bike and i had it idling in the garagae when the enging suddenly shut off. i go out into the garage and theres coolant everywhere:censored: i look and the clear hose that takes the coolant from the back to the front melted and the engine overheated. im bummeddd..... but i put coolant in the rad and she elec. staarted right up and idled fine. but i didnt think the hoses coud just melt through like that. i havnt moved them in any services exccept maybe the ais removal. can i get some heat resistant hoses and wh could i get them? thanks guys

• wartsnuff

Posted July 02, 2008 - 07:13 AM

how long did you have the bike idling ?

as soon as i feel heat at the top of the rad with rad cap.. i call it good to go

couple of minutes of nice easy driving let the tranny and enging fully warm up

then braap braaap i am off

cheers

• SXP

Posted July 02, 2008 - 07:53 AM

You must have left that thing idling for a VERY VERY long time to do what it did:naughty: This thing needs air moving through the rads to keep it cool.

I just hope it died because the spewing coolant somehow grounded something electrical (the coil comes to mind) killing the spark and hence shutting down the engine, and NOT because the motor got so hot it seized!:thumbsup:

• frye22

Posted July 02, 2008 - 08:18 AM

10 minutes idling in the garage. Dog had just chewed through the sprinkler system in the back and I was just looking to see what was broke. Well the engine started right back yesterday so I'm hoping it didn't seize.

• wartsnuff

Posted July 02, 2008 - 08:57 AM

10 minutes idling in the garage. Dog had just chewed through the sprinkler system in the back and I was just looking to see what was broke. Well the engine started right back yesterday so I'm hoping it didn't seize.

just a thought 10minutes is a long time for these bikes. imho....

2-3 and i am off. like my post before .. i drive nice and easy... for another 5 minutes...

then i am on the hammer :thumbsup:

i think if you are running and idling now. your motor survived :p just get the hose fixed and enjoy that bike...

cheers
good luck

Warts

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Demo_Slug

Posted July 02, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Was it possible that the over flow was full and the coolant line just burst when the coolant expanded???

One thing to think about. If the coolant was hot enough to melt the tube, the tube should show signs of melting at multiple locations. If it melted at one location then, you could conclude that it touched something hot.

• frye22

Posted July 02, 2008 - 09:34 AM

Ok so it turns out the bike died from lack of gas before the coolant leak could hurt it. The hose just a little close to the rad and just melted aginst it. That's why it suddenly shut off and then all the coolant fluid just kinda leaked out the whole in the tube after it shut off.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 02, 2008 - 09:58 AM

Ok so it turns out the bike died from lack of gas before the coolant leak could hurt it. The hose just a little close to the rad and just melted aginst it. That's why it suddenly shut off and then all the coolant fluid just kinda leaked out the whole in the tube after it shut off.

that is good news. :thumbsup:

• wartsnuff

Posted July 02, 2008 - 10:11 AM

Was it possible that the over flow was full and the coolant line just burst when the coolant expanded???

One thing to think about. If the coolant was hot enough to melt the tube, the tube should show signs of melting at multiple locations. If it melted at one location then, you could conclude that it touched something hot.

this cannot happen... the tank is not a pressure vessle.. it has a overflow hose off the overflow tank to drain is this happend :thumbsup:

cheers
Warts

• tweav

Posted July 02, 2008 - 12:39 PM

this cannot happen... the tank is not a pressure vessle.. it has a overflow hose off the overflow tank to drain is this happend :thumbsup:

cheers
Warts

it could of bust due to the pressure if the line had a kink in in it or was pinched shut , I would guess this was the case . even the rad should not have got hot enough to melt the plastic line without something else wrong plastic starts to melt well over 300 degrees water boils at 212 . I would say the line bust due to the build up of steam pressure .

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.