Fork spring spacer

4 replies to this topic
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 01, 2008 - 12:13 PM

Has anyone fitted fork spacers (ie. to pre-load the springs a little) on their WR450Fs?

Despite the fact that the RaceTech spring rates on-line calculator thing tells me my stock springs are fine for my weight, I still find I'm bottoming out on the trails a fair bit.
(I'm not a super-fast rider either!)

No, I haven't gotten around to ensuring the right volume/weight of oil is in each leg yet ..... assuming it's right..... what height of spacer do you guys recommend I start with? This is my first WR450F and I'm not familiar with them yet.

(BTW I have a lathe and can turn any size spacers up that i need.)

Greg

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 01, 2008 - 12:42 PM

You probably already know this, but….

By adding more oil you can make the fork more progressive, ie the spring rate will ramp as you compress the fork……how it works, As you add oil… you decrease the air volume in the fork. This volume of air gets compressed as the fork gets compressed. It becomes an air spring. As volume decrease the air spring force ramps. The smaller the volume of air the more it will ramp. Too much oil will yield hydraulic lock. :thumbsup:

This will allow your fork to stay supple for small hits and gain spring force deeper in the travel for big hits..

if you just want to mill something, then... by all means don't let my play the spoiler. Don't make it too long or you'll bottom out the spring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450FGreg

Posted July 02, 2008 - 11:30 AM

You probably already know this, but….

By adding more oil you can make the fork more progressive, ie the spring rate will ramp as you compress the fork……how it works, As you add oil… you decrease the air volume in the fork. This volume of air gets compressed as the fork gets compressed. It becomes an air spring. As volume decrease the air spring force ramps. The smaller the volume of air the more it will ramp. Too much oil will yield hydraulic lock.

Demo-slug,

Thanks, but yes, I have done that many times before with other bikes.
I am looking to compensate for what I believe is too soft a spring rate for my weight on my bike.

Thanks again,
Greg

• TWILES

Posted July 03, 2008 - 04:01 PM

The springs that Factory Connection sells for the WRs are the same for the YZ's on the 2005/2006 models. I don't know if the 08s are the same but if they are, the YZ springs are longer than the WR springs. I bought the .50 fork springs that Race-Tech said but since they are the YZ spings they are longer and I lost all the sag in the forks. You might try the longer Factory Connection springs. The .50's are too hard but I didn't know what I was getting. I'm not upset about it. I can push it a lot harder now.

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2008 - 04:31 PM

Race Tech lists the '06 - '08 YZF spring at 43.6x450mm

The '05 -'07 WR's are shown at 43.5x461mm

Springs from an '04 YZ450, which has the same 48mm SC fork, are 43.6x480mm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.