Will a yz450 carburetor fit a yz400

4 replies to this topic
  • toolman90503

Posted July 01, 2008 - 09:05 AM

I have recently purchased a 98 yz400f and have cleaned the carberator. I can't seem to get the lag out of the off idle throttle. I am considering a newer style yz carb or an edlebrock. It is much cheaper to go with a used Keihin carb off a newer bike. Does anyone know or have any experience with this swap?

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2008 - 10:57 AM

It seems to me there have been some people do this. Use the advanced search and see if you can find something on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted July 01, 2008 - 01:11 PM

Here's one for starters: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=639019

• toolman90503

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the input. Now after reading that thread, more question come to mind. It can't be that much shorter, how much? I know I have some play in the boot but I don't want to put too much stress that would cause it to slip off or come loose while riding. Have you had any problems? Also the intake side has a slot to center the carb upright is there any conflict with the newer carb? I sure would like all the features of a new carb, any input would be greatly appreciated.

• SXP

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:19 PM

It will line-up/bolt right up with the existing engine side boot. As far as stretching the air box boot we are talking about 1/4-1/2 inch (maybe less). You will need the correct throttle cables, hot start cable and handle-bar lever. That's it. I've had absolutely no issues thus far.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.