Can an old timing chain cause a ticking noise?

6 replies to this topic
  • Dan_187

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:23 AM

I've had my bike (06 yz450) for about 2 full years now, and I reshimmed a few months ago so I don't think thats the culprit. My timing chain is still stock though, can that cause a ticking noise? The noise is present at idle and seems to follow the engine rpm.

I've searched threads about this and it seems that its ok for yamahas to be loud sometimes, but I just started noticing this ticking about 5 rides or so ago. The bike runs great and starts easy. Let me know what you guys think...

• Dan_187

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:07 PM

ok let me ask a slightly easier question, after 2 years of use is it imperative that i change my timing chain or can i just keep :thumbsup:

• Slinkyman16

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:17 PM

you should change it every year.. 14 bucks is cheap insurance.. but the ticking could be a number or things.. (mostly common in the yzf motors).. best bet is to compare bikes and noises. if anything sounds out of wack then you may have a problem..

have u recently installed a skid plate??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:05 PM

Is the noise at idle, or under a load?

In gear, or out?

• Dan_187

Posted July 02, 2008 - 05:40 AM

I dont have a skid plate.

The noise is there at idle (its the most obvious at idle) but its also there when im riding it (under load)

So if i replace the timing chain and check the valves again while im in there is that a safe enough bet that if i do those my bike is ok to go??

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2008 - 06:21 AM

If you think it's an unusual noise, I'd get it looked at, or compare it with a like unit. The '06 is uncomfortably noisy at times, but it doesn't hurt to check.

The timing chain could have a couple of bad links that would make noise. One of the characteristics of such a noise would be that it is out of sync with the engine, since the chain won't make a full revolution each time the engine or cams do, and it runs over 3 sprockets.

• Bombdawg

Posted July 03, 2008 - 10:51 AM

Sounds like the valve clearance is too loose causing the ticking sound, re-check your valve clearances.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.