Finally finished the 400 fire restoration

15 replies to this topic
  • Frostbite

Posted June 30, 2008 - 09:35 PM

An over enthusiastic block heater lit my bike on fire in January. I bought a 450 in February and finally put it down long enough to bolt the new parts on the 400. I finished it up tonight and rolled it outside. It hadn't been running since the incident so I didn't know what to expect, but it fired right up, no pun intended. Man, that bike is reliable!:thumbsup:

I had the 400 wheels mounted on my 450, so I had to swap back. I'm low on non studded tires, so I popped a spiker on the front of the 450, and a paddle that I had been saving for a special occasion on the rear, just to keep the bike rolling. It's going on a plane next week, and the 400 will be staying here, sold, sniff.:p

A few pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 02WR426Cali

Posted June 30, 2008 - 10:07 PM

Nice work! Must have sucked to have your bike catch fire. Oh and that is one hell of a paddle!!

• matt4x4

Posted July 01, 2008 - 03:46 AM

Nice work Frosty.
What's going on a plane - the 450???
Are you heading home for a bit?
and if it's going on a plane do you have to go through all that "hazzardous cargo" crap again???

• byggd

Posted July 01, 2008 - 03:59 AM

Great job frosty! Too bad you sold it, it's like selling a good friend.

• Frostbite

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:45 AM

Nice work! Must have sucked to have your bike catch fire. Oh and that is one hell of a paddle!!

The fire was quite a shocker when I opened the front door. The bike was engulfed in flame, but it was mostly fuel burning.
The fire had melted a hole through the gas tank, so fuel was spilling down the side of the bike and onto the ground, making it look much worse than it was.

Nice work Frosty.
What's going on a plane - the 450???
Are you heading home for a bit?
and if it's going on a plane do you have to go through all that "hazzardous cargo" crap again???

Hey Matt, yes the 450 is flying out next week, and I won’t be far behind. My contract here in Pangnirtung ends July 15, and I begin a new contract in Iqaluit on August 1st.
I lived in Iqaluit for 9 years and even though it’s still the Arctic, it’s much more civilized, 7000 people vs 700. There’s a few restaurants, a movie theatre, and most importantly – beer is legal there.
Shipping the bike this time is a bit easier. The cargo ship will be arriving in Pang at the end of July. If I had to, I could load the bike on and ship to Montreal and then back up to Iqaluit. I have a better deal right now. A cargo plane is coming in full of building materials, and was flying back to Iqaluit empty. I’m going to roll the bike on it in 1 piece, which is nice.

Great job frosty! Too bad you sold it, it's like selling a good friend.

Thanks Byggd. I’ll probably regret selling it, but flying 1 bike around is tough, let alone 2, and I do love the 450.

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:53 AM

Good to see you don't have to stuff more dirt bike parts down your pants before you get on the airplane:prof:

• WR_Dave

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:57 AM

Hey Frosty, congrats on getting the ol' 400 back to life, it looks good. Nice to hear your going to be more civilized :thumbsup: . When you get to Iqaluit, have that beer we didn't have the correct timing for in Pheonix. WR Dave

• Frostbite

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Good to see you don't have to stuff more dirt bike parts down your pants before you get on the airplane:prof:

It wasn’t all bad – last time the flight attendants seemed impressed by the muffler bulge.:p

Hey Frosty, congrats on getting the ol' 400 back to life, it looks good. Nice to hear your going to be more civilized :thumbsup: . When you get to Iqaluit, have that beer we didn't have the correct timing for in Pheonix. WR Dave

Thanks Dave. I will have that beer, and I’ll keep one on ice for you in case you’re ever in the neighborhood. (Actually, I'll keep one thawed for you).

I’m taking 2 weeks off before the new contract starts. I’m heading to Nova Scotia to finish packing my belongings there. Then I’m spending a week drinking beer on the beach, and then haul everything to the dock in Montreal to load on the ship bound for Iqaluit, truck and all. I sold my GMC when I left Iqaluit. I’ve had the Ford for nearly 2 years now and it’s been mainly sitting in storage. Time to get a little mud on the tires, and I’m no stranger to mud.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted July 01, 2008 - 10:23 AM

If I may ask, what line of work are you in?

• Frostbite

Posted July 01, 2008 - 11:26 AM

If I may ask, what line of work are you in?

I'm in construction/inspection/supervision. For the past year and half I've been the owner's rep for the health center being built here.
The new contract in Iqaluit will be supervisor on 5 buildings - a 10 plex, 2 5plexes, and 3 4plexes.

• Charles De Mar

Posted July 01, 2008 - 01:06 PM

I'm in construction/inspection/supervision. For the past year and half I've been the owner's rep for the health center being built here.
The new contract in Iqaluit will be supervisor on 5 buildings - a 10 plex, 2 5plexes, and 3 4plexes.

That's perplexing! sounds complexed!

• Frostbite

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:10 PM

That's perplexing! sounds complexed!

Haha, it's so perplexing, I didn't even get the math right. 1 and 2 and 3 is 6. :p

I better recheck my contract and make sure I'm not giving them a free building.:thumbsup:

• boulderite

Posted July 01, 2008 - 07:01 PM

For some weird and no apparent reason I need to look at my bike in the garage daily, but thats just plain stupid. I am sick with ENVY I need to figure out how I can keep my bike in the living room, thats just baller!!!!

• Frostbite

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:05 PM

For some weird and no apparent reason I need to look at my bike in the garage daily, but thats just plain stupid. I am sick with ENVY I need to figure out how I can keep my bike in the living room, thats just baller!!!!

Well, first of all you need to be not married......................

Funny how the grass is always greener - I wish I had a garage to keep my bike in!

• 1rkcooper

Posted July 01, 2008 - 09:07 PM

Frostbite
It's good to see you have a real stand for working on your bikes now. Good to see the 400 up again but I would think it is sad to see it go.

Good luck on your new adventures.

• matt4x4

Posted July 02, 2008 - 03:53 AM

The rubbermaid stand bit the bucket? (sorry for the pun).

That pic reminds me of my 92 Jimmy S15 on 32" mudders - I have had similar excursions - some with higher waves than that cresting the windshield and of course, worse outcomes, however, usually just ended up just having to pull plugs and getting the water out before she fired right up again - 450,000km and still running strong on the original, never touched engine. Gotta love the Vortec 4.3!
it's in my barn for now awaiting one of 2 outcomes - if the 50's jeep my neighbour owns ever croaks, it'll become my plow truck, otherwise, it will get a fresh engine and become my 8 yr olds first vehicle because I know full well he'll be needing something to tow his bike(s) around.

So you get to go to the beautiful Southern locale known as Montreal for a well deserved defrosting before heading back into the cold?
Make the best of it, sounds like you will be busy for quite some time again.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.