Help with paper for school. Parts list for top end rebuild.

13 replies to this topic
  • 7d7

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:04 PM

I am writing a paper for my 101 eng class:prof: , and we have to compare two objects or things, whatever. I chose to compare the 2008 Yamaha WR450F and the 2008 Yamaha YZ250R. I was going to do a cost of ownership breakdown of the two bikes as part of my paper,so i was thinking about including basic maintenance costs as well as the cost for a basic top end rebuild. However, I have little to no experience with four strokes, so i was wondering if some one could give me a list of parts associated with a basic top end rebuild.

Thanks in advance.

• WR450FGreg

Posted June 30, 2008 - 11:18 PM

7d7,

Happy to help (I'm a teacher myself!)

With my limited 4 stroke experience (done countless 2 strokes!) I'd reckon you'd be looking (normally, assuming nothing is broken) at things like:

Piston and circlips
Rings
Small end bearing
Wrist pin
Gaskets

This depends totally on what is actually worn/broken on a particular machine, but the above should be enough for your comparison/paper.

Good luck with it!
Greg

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 01, 2008 - 01:44 AM

if there was anything I learned in college... it was to not get too geeky in GE classes. I'd tend to get more focused on the data, and not focus on what the exercise was really about.

the method of your comparison is what will get you a grade.

• Bamster

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:06 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

• mvryder

Posted July 01, 2008 - 10:32 AM

if there was anything I learned in college... it was to not get too geeky in GE classes. I'd tend to get more focused on the data, and not focus on what the exercise was really about.

the method of your comparison is what will get you a grade.

So true. I went to a school very focused on engineering and there is no way an English teacher there would have know the difference between a piston and a spark plug. All the engineering students hated the humanities classes and the profs knew it. It seemed like whenever we would try to bring in something technical to that class we would get burned (low grade). Ahh but I digress. School has so little to do with learning something other than being good at school....its a shame.

• WR450FGreg

Posted July 01, 2008 - 11:59 AM

School has so little to do with learning something other than being good at school

:thumbsup: :p :cry: :p

Yeah, I hear what you are saying and appreciate your opinion about school. But don't "write it off" completely!

The beauty of my subject area (timber/metal/technical drawing/construction) ..... it's all about building skills that help the kids in the future...... after school.
Jeez, they even get to make stuff they can use right throughout their lives. I'm still using tools I made in metalwork when I was 14/15 years old. I'm almost 44 now!

Greg

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 01, 2008 - 12:13 PM

When comparing the cost of ownership between the 2T and 4T, one should factor in that your top end rebuilds will be 4 or 5 : 1 in favor of the 2 stroke.... meaning that you will likely do four top ends on a 2T before you do one on a well maintained 4T, atleast:prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Demo_Slug

Posted July 01, 2008 - 12:28 PM

So true. I went to a school very focused on engineering and there is no way an English teacher there would have know the difference between a piston and a spark plug. All the engineering students hated the humanities classes and the profs knew it. It seemed like whenever we would try to bring in something technical to that class we would get burned (low grade). Ahh but I digress. School has so little to do with learning something other than being good at school....its a shame.

don't get me wrong, I always found a way to enjoy GE classes....I took a speech communication class once, which was really good for meeting new lady friends. :thumbsup:

• 7d7

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:43 PM

I am actually majoring in engineering.

don't get me wrong, I always found a way to enjoy GE classes....I took a speech communication class once, which was really good for meeting new lady friends. :thumbsup:

Very true. In both of my english classes I have met some pretty ladies. I always seem to find my self at tables full of them:thumbsup:

Also thanks for the info

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:57 PM

I am actually majoring in engineering.

I think those who have already been.... realized that from your first post. :p

you'll get a better grade if you do your report about something an English teacher would enjoy. like pie or old books or white wine. Always know your audience.:thumbsup:

• 7d7

Posted July 02, 2008 - 05:36 AM

One more thing. What should the time between rebuild be? Say the bike was being raced. For two strokes I have always heard twenty hours,( I never rebuilt anything at 20 hours, no money), So what would the time be for a four stroke?

• mvryder

Posted July 02, 2008 - 08:31 AM

I think those who have already been.... realized that from your first post. :p

you'll get a better grade if you do your report about something an English teacher would enjoy. like pie or old books or white wine. Always know your audience.:thumbsup:

The man is a genius! He got the high GPA. Yeah I though I liked engineering too, until I realized that the cop that pulled me over (with a high school education) on my way to my engineering job makes more money and has better benefits.

• Demo_Slug

Posted July 02, 2008 - 09:55 AM

The man is a genius! He got the high GPA. Yeah I though I liked engineering too, until I realized that the cop that pulled me over (with a high school education) on my way to my engineering job makes more money and has better benefits.

I wish. I needed every trick in the book. :thumbsup: .

government jobs seem real atractive right now. But, Police and firefighters get paid money for a reason. Although there have been some that abused overtime, the greater majority earn it.

• 7d7

Posted July 04, 2008 - 08:21 AM

Here in mass some state police are making triple didget salaries. You know why? It is overtime for directing traffic. Some have made over 200,000 year.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.