06450 Fork Oil Level

10 replies to this topic
  • ivesy

Posted June 30, 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hi there, can anyone tell me what the oil level in the forks should be when measured from the top (with the spring out etc). The manual only states a volume but I have lost some oil through badly leaking seals and need to top it up after cleaning the seals out.

Cheers

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:10 PM

The '06 is not set to a level, as the older forks are. Unless someone measures their oil level while they fill it, there's no way to know.

Also, you can't measure with the spring out, because with the spring removed, there's a hole in the bottom of the fork.

• ivesy

Posted June 30, 2008 - 10:01 PM

Ooh I'm kinda stuffed then, I guess I'll have to empty one fork out and refill the outer to the right specs and see if I can measure the oil level accurately.
Cheers

• nathanyzf426

Posted July 01, 2008 - 03:19 AM

dont know if this works for your bike but i normally get a precision ruler and measure 120mm from the top of the inner fork tube yours may be different whilst you are that far you may as well just put new seals in there its really an easy job do do it will only take you an hour max to do the both forks seem as you say they where leaking so bad the dirt may have put wear on the seals just an opinion cheers mate nathan

• Ga426owner

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:43 AM

To GreyRacers point it is difficult to tell but on the avg it is around 350cc

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:46 AM

He knows the amount, but he wants to be able to measure the level and add only what he needs without pulling the forks.

And yes, Nathan, the '06 fork is completely different.

• saca

Posted July 02, 2008 - 07:04 PM

145 ~ 148 mm (5.71 ~ 5.83 in)
From top of fully stretched
damper assem

• grayracer513

Posted July 02, 2008 - 07:17 PM

145 ~ 148 mm (5.71 ~ 5.83 in)
From top of fully stretched
damper assem

That is the inner cartridge pre-assembly levellevel. He is trying to find the level for the outer chamber.

• flemingjim

Posted July 06, 2008 - 05:17 PM

I got the same issue, need to know the stock oil volume for the outer chamber (06 yz450F). I measured the inner level at 150 mm prior to seal/wiper replacement, but I believe the outer chamber is set by volume. I never got the owners mannual from my dealer, left over 06 in 07! I took a guess and tossed in 200cc an hour ago, looks like I'm 150cc short if
Ga426Owner is correct.

• grayracer513

Posted July 06, 2008 - 05:40 PM

I got the same issue, need to know the stock oil volume for the outer chamber (06 yz450F). I measured the inner level at 150 mm prior to seal/wiper replacement, but I believe the outer chamber is set by volume. I never got the owners mannual from my dealer, left over 06 in 07! I took a guess and tossed in 200cc an hour ago, looks like I'm 150cc short if
Ga426Owner is correct.

Another one who didn't look in Common Threads. Download a manual;

http://www.yamaha-mo...ice/manuals.jsp

The listed outer volume is 350cc. I run a little less, but I'm using a much different fluid.

The inners have to be filled, have all the air worked out, then they must be compressed fully and filled up to at least the listed level of 145mm from the top. Then, the base valve assembly is inserted as the rod is allowed to extend. Once the valve is screwed down, the rods are fully compressed to force out any excess oil, and that oil is dumped out before installing the cartridge. They can be under filled, but not over filled.

• flemingjim

Posted July 06, 2008 - 07:59 PM

Another one who didn't look in Common Threads. Download a manual;

http://www.yamaha-mo....ce/manuals.jsp

Thanks, I must have missed it in Common Threads. I've been riding and working on my bikes for 42 years, but I'm kind of new to forums! Thanks again, great site! I got to go read the manual now, to see what else I might have messed up!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.