Pro Moto end cap on 2000 yz426

13 replies to this topic
  • rudepig

Posted June 30, 2008 - 01:31 PM

Greeting fellow enthusiasts,
Long time listener, first time caller here. I've recently purchased a 2000 yz426 and need to add a spark arrestor to the stock muffler. I've searched the site and the stickys and the Pro Moto end cap seems like the way to go but I don't see any info/instructions on how to install. The end cap that's on there now (stock) has a slight, convex curve to it and a short "tail pipe" sticking out of it. My questions are as follows: 1) is the pro moto end cap mounting surface curved to match? 2) do I need to drill out the rivets holding the current end cap in place? (figure as much but thought I'd ask anyway) 3) will that "tail pipe" come out once the end cap is off or is there cutting involved? 4) will it all make sense once I get the end cap off? Thanks in advance!
:thumbsup:

RP

• c-man

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:37 PM

just drill the rivets out (believe it is a 3/16 bit) and the whole "convex" portion and tail pipe will come out as one piece.....you may have to cut the silicone around the perimeter of the end cap to get it to come out easier. Then just install your PMB endo and rivet it in....done. No cutting involved, only drilling and riveting the new cap on....you will have no pipe sticking out of your new end cap....the pmb makes it shorter.

• rudepig

Posted July 01, 2008 - 04:47 AM

Thank you! I'm new to the dirt and this is my first spark arrestor. I was a little apprehensive about drilling into a $200 - $300 part (muffler), especially if the $100 end cap didn't work. Now I can drill with confidence!

• canute

Posted July 01, 2008 - 03:53 PM

If you havent purchased yet.... the Dr.D from thumpertalk was about $87 :thumbsup: and went on my '98 400yz the same way as c-man describes... use a rubber mallet to introduce the arrestor to the silencer, and a good quality riveter will make it an easy job.
I would also check the silencer packing while you have it open.

• zacw

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:02 PM

Dude it is definately a waste for that thing... It's like $140 and yeah you have to drill out rivets and a bunch of other junk... Just buy a new slip on... Better long term deal and a two bros pipe gives you 7.1 horse power!!!

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:34 PM

Dude it is definately a waste for that thing... It's like $140 and yeah you have to drill out rivets and a bunch of other junk... Just buy a new slip on... Better long term deal and a two bros pipe gives you 7.1 horse power!!!

In the first place, the Two Brothers pipe only provides a 7hp gain on an '08, not on any 426, and only at 5000 RPM, not at peak. It adds no peak horsepower at all, and almost any exhaust, including a stock '06, will do the same for the '08. So don't go over the top.

Secondly, the gentleman already pointed out that the DRD spark arrestor kit was $87, not the $140 retail price, and even at that, it would be half the cost of a slip-on. Not everyone has the budget you do.

As far as rivets, you have to drill rivets to repack your exhaust most of the time, anyway, or were you not planning to do that?

• rudepig

Posted July 02, 2008 - 08:12 PM

sweeeet, thanks. No, I haven't purchased yet but I did check out the Dr D, nice price! I definitely considered the slip on deal, quick and easy. Time spent working on the bike is time not riding the bike but I've got a few more things to buy yet (flywheel, bark busters, new boots for my kid, etc etc) and its only a matter of time before the wife finds the credit card bills. :thumbsup: a
As for the rivets. I've seen some guys recommend tapping and bolting instead of riveting for easier future access. Sounds good but what about vibration? You think locktite on the threads and RTV under the heads would be enough or should I just buy the riveter?

Thanks all for the feedback!
RP

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nathanyzf426

Posted July 03, 2008 - 01:17 AM

id say just buy the rivet gun and rivits its not hard to do i reckon its better to rivet and besides that who wants a heaps of dirty bolts stickin out around the end of your pipe certainly not me, rivets blend in to the pipe and looks good , your choice mate just a thought

• KAS

Posted July 03, 2008 - 01:25 PM

sweeeet, thanks. No, I haven't purchased yet but I did check out the Dr D, nice price! I definitely considered the slip on deal, quick and easy. Time spent working on the bike is time not riding the bike but I've got a few more things to buy yet (flywheel, bark busters, new boots for my kid, etc etc) and its only a matter of time before the wife finds the credit card bills. :thumbsup: a
As for the rivets. I've seen some guys recommend tapping and bolting instead of riveting for easier future access. Sounds good but what about vibration? You think locktite on the threads and RTV under the heads would be enough or should I just buy the riveter?

Thanks all for the feedback!
RP

The endcap swap takes like 20 minutes. Its not time lost riding your bike, by any means.

I would stick with rivets for the endcap. Thats not something you always are taking on and off, so using screws really wont help much, plus its easier and faster just to use rivets instead of tapping all the holes, buying the right screws.

• grayracer513

Posted July 03, 2008 - 01:40 PM

Time working to earn enough money to buy an expensive pipe is not time riding the bike, either, you know.

• Wiz636

Posted July 03, 2008 - 02:54 PM

Stick with rivets for sure. I have found that when it comes to silencers that screws will do one of two things a) they either fall out, or :thumbsup: become impossible to remove without drilling anyways.

• 06crf_er

Posted July 03, 2008 - 03:05 PM

The PMB is the ticket. It is precise, fits well and installs in minutes. Well worth every penny I spent on it. Not to mention, it looks pretty trick and dresses up the ugly stock can pretty well. IMVHO at least:excuseme: Here's a pic of the PMB installed on my 06 450R

Posted Image
Posted Image

• rudepig

Posted July 04, 2008 - 10:47 AM

Rivets it is. Good reason to pick up a new tool too. :p

06cfr er, GREAT pics, thank you! Visual aids help alot and you're right, it looks cool! I think I'm going PMB. $87 vs $125...almost close but even at$125 its still 1/2 the price of an aftermarket can. If I was power hungry it might be worth it but I haven't even hit 5th gear yet! My old bike is only a 150 (4 stroke as well) so this thing is ROCKET even though its all stock, compared to the 150.

Thanks again all and Happy 4th!!!! :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 04, 2008 - 11:28 AM

This is what the new DRD looks like:

http://www.dubachrac...dtr95ebt441g850

Check the prices on both these items in the TT Store.

The truth is that the stock 426 exhaust is a good system, power wise, and slip-on pipes seldom add much to their performance. With either of these products, you get some of the bling factor, add a sparky, lose no power, and keep some cash.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.