Bike shopping

10 replies to this topic
  • OldSkool

Posted June 30, 2008 - 11:58 AM

I am in the market for a bike. I owned a 99 YZ250 (sold last year) and I'm 37 years old. I'm far from a MX track rider and mainly ride woods and trails. I will ride a few MX tracks per year but I don't crack huge jumps just do a few tables here and there. So I do jump but nothing hard core.

I have my eye on two bikes right now and had someone offer me another (bike 3).

Bike 1) 04 YZ450 - fly wheel weighted... and bone stock $2600

Bike 2) 05 WR450 - bone stock $3600

Bike 3) 05 YZ250 - price unknown but I would think in the 2500 range

I'm 6'1 and about 200 with gear on. What do you think about the above list?
I always had two strokes and my 99 was a screamer. It did everything I wanted in a bike. Out of the above list what do you think would be a good bike to go with... with the type of riding mentioned above? I know the WR is geared differently and detuned... I just want to know if its worth the extra grand asking price and if it can handle the occasional table top.

Thank for any help.

• BASSic

Posted June 30, 2008 - 05:05 PM

Your riding style sounds exactly like mine. Get the 05 YZ250!!!!! If you don't want it, PM me the ad or sellers contact info so I can buy it.

The experts here say the 04 YZ450 has a hard hitting engine (power delivery isn't smooth like the newer 450s) and it only has a 4 speed gearbox, so it might not be the ideal woods/trail weapon.

I have no experience with the WR, but I ride a YZ426 in the woods with an occasional trip to the MX track and it suits me fine. I couldn't imagine riding a bike that's heavier than a YZ and has a more mellow engine.

On the other hand if you want lights, electric start, a low first gear, and a tall fifth gear, and you don't mind doing a little work to uncork the engine, then maybe you should consider the WR.

• kain522

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:25 PM

I have an 04 yz450 that is my all around do everything bike. To this point, the 4 speed trans has not been an issue for me. As for the "hard hitting" motor, I can't say I totally agree on that. In fact, compared to the hit of a two stroke, it's a real sweetheart. The only time it doesn't do well is on slow, tight trails. It likes to stall when you're picking your way through rocks, etc at a walking pace. Given a little room to run, the bike is great. I guess it comes down to your riding area. If it's tight and slow, go with the WR or the 250. If you've got the room to let it run a little, you'll never regret the YZ450. I love mine!

• BBrown626

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:34 PM

I have an '04 YZ450F and an '08 YZ250. The 2-stroke is a dream to ride. It handles very well, makes plenty of power for your use, is easy to maintain and starts very easy. The 450 is a great bike, but weight/handling, starting and maintenance will be significant shortcomings compared to a YZ250.

• OldSkool

Posted July 08, 2008 - 11:34 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I ended up going with the 04 YZ450F. I wanted a change from the two stroke and so far so good. Bike is very predictable and has good manners. I'm adapting to the bike pretty quick.

Here is a pic for your enjoyment. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BBrown626

Posted July 08, 2008 - 12:43 PM

Looks like a great find. I'd bet very low hours based on the paint and stickers still being there. Enjoy the ride.

• kain522

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:41 PM

Looks sweet. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Be careful the first couple times you jump it. A 4 stroke jumps a bit different than a two stroke.

• husqy360

Posted July 10, 2008 - 11:34 PM

Looks sweet. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine. Be careful the first couple times you jump it. A 4 stroke jumps a bit different than a two stroke.

what do you mean by 4 stroke jumps a bit diffrent then 2 strokes?
please explain, im learning to jump on my yz450 and the 2t guys jump much higher in the same speed.

• kain522

Posted July 11, 2008 - 12:36 PM

The bike seems much more sensitive to the throttle when compared to a 2t. If I let off even a little on the take off, it nose dives. Giving a bit extra on take off, and the bike gets really nose high quick. Maybe my issue is that I'm still getting used to jumping it, but , I can jump my KTM 2t just fine. I guess I need to practice more. ( big smile!!!!)

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2008 - 12:57 PM

The bike seems much more sensitive to the throttle when compared to a 2t. If I let off even a little on the take off, it nose dives.

This is one of the key differences between 4 and 2-stroke bikes. Because of the 4-stroke's engine braking, simply letting off the gas in the air is nearly the same as tapping the brake on a pinger to drop the nose. This applies in the air, and even more so if you drop the throttle at the crest of a jump (don't try that at home). The tendency to kick the tail up over bumps is also exaggerated when running over sharp little bumps when the throttle is closed. Power over them, and the rear will stay down.

Giving a bit extra on take off, and the bike gets really nose high quick.

This happens because the engine has a fat wad of torque. If you think it's a 4-stroke exclusive, you should spend some time trying to jump a CR500. That bike will go vertical of a jump crest with almost no provocation at all.

It's all just a matter of timing and adjusting to it.

• kain522

Posted July 13, 2008 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the input, Gray. I know it's just a matter of my getting the feel for it. It's a little frustrating though, everything I do out of habit from the 2t is getting me into trouble on the YZ. Oh well, more practice time isn't a bad thing.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

• Hot  38 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.