oversized front rotor? any opinions?

9 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:29 AM

I am wondering if anyone has any opinions or thoughts on an oversized front rotor kit for a newer YZ ( I ride an 08 450).

• KAS

Posted June 30, 2008 - 10:40 AM

If you want a stronger front brake, they work.

I've never tried one on a YZ, but I did install one on a KTM (20mm oversize), and the brake had quite a bit more stopping power.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 30, 2008 - 11:06 AM

Do you want better, higher performing brakes that work much better with less effort? I did. And this is why I settled after much research on Brakings Wave Rotor 270mm Front brake kit with Braking pads. I also coupled it with a Stainless steel Galfer line and Motul fluid. Now my brakes are the best I have ever used. I even swapped the rear rotor out for Braking Wave rotors and Braking pads with another SS line. :thumbsup:

• Whyzee429

Posted June 30, 2008 - 11:12 AM

i have a stainless front line on my 07 450. that alone made a noticable difference

• KJ790

Posted June 30, 2008 - 01:33 PM

I have a 260mm braking front rotor on mine. I like it, though it isn't a huge improvement over the stock 250mm set up. It is a little stronger and more controlled though. If you want the most braking power go with the 270mm kit, or even EBC's 280mm kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • corndog67

Posted June 30, 2008 - 04:20 PM

So with those bigger rotors, do you guys ever clank (a very descriptive term) them on rocks? That is one worry I have riding off road.

• greengoose999

Posted June 30, 2008 - 06:09 PM

i have one of the ebc 280mm ones on my 250 2 stroke yz and always rode bush and never hit. made braking alot easier for me becuase i have a habbit of riding with one finger resting on the front brake and then when it comes to braking using only 1 or 2 fingers and thats when you notice the difference.. its noticably better probably more for fast and hard braking in racing but then again your not going to stop on the spot

• Jim813

Posted June 30, 2008 - 09:25 PM

I ride( or at least try to:thumbsup: ) on my toes alot, and have never been a back brake user. Coming from a KTM, the yamaha front brake just doesnt have the strength of the KTM, or the initial bite. I seem to have to use 2 fingers( KTM I used one) and still dont slow as fast as I would like. I am looking for that strength and bite as good or better than a KTM, but in a controllable way so I dont skid and tuck the front end. I am aslo looking for a little less input at the lever to have increased strength if possible. I understand there will be a compromise, but different oversized front rotor companies build different setups, some with a mushy feel at the lever and some with a very firm feel, you get the point. I read over the oversized front rotor test in the June 2008 issue of Dirt rider( yes I know its for a honda) and they seem to be the most impressed with the Braking 270mm kit and the EBC 280mm kit. Can I expect similar results on a yami?
Also, price can come into play, where can I find some good deals on oversized rotor kits?

Thanks for the help!

• mj2412

Posted July 01, 2008 - 03:23 AM

Hi, i just ordered a 270mm Braking rotor with adapter and pads for my 07 250F. I'm also dreaming of a real one finger brake. So i hope it is the right way. I will give feedback when i run it the first time. Look at BTO Sports, i think it is a good price.

• Jim813

Posted July 01, 2008 - 09:26 PM

ok let me know how that works for ya!

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.