Black engine cases that will last!

9 replies to this topic
  • 02YZFkid

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:08 AM

hey guys,
I brought this up in the forums a couple weeks ago and its finally done and put back together. I had my clutch cover, stator cover, and oil filter cover covered in Line-x (the truck bed liner) and it came out awesome!

I also got a few other mods to go along with the new cases. I have works connection timing plugs, and a Hammerhead case saver. I also painted the exhaust gaurd on the header black. Last time I went out riding I crushed the head pipe on the bike, so I had to buy a new exhaust system as well. This is the system off a 2006 with anodized end cap that I polished the hell out of before I put it on. The bike is slightly louder compared to my stock 2007 system, I think its because of the larger opening of the new cap.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

So What do you guys think of everything?

-Rob

• YamahaDude450F

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:29 AM

Looks sweet dude! I only have about 10 hours on my 08 with the black covers and they are already showing wear so i will definitely look into that, well done!

• groundpounder450

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:33 AM

about how much was the cost of the line x?..... ive got a few things i'd like to do up and was wondering how much loot i've in it

• grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:36 AM

"(pic URL)"

It's as simple as clicking the yellow button second from the right on the post tool bar with the picture of a mountain on it (says, "insert image" when you mouse over it). put the URL of the picture in the field and click OK.

The other 3 pics aren't really needed.

• 02YZFkid

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:03 AM

about how much was the cost of the line x?

It was $40 to have everything done. At first the guy told me that he would need to prime the covers and all that garbage... never even told me that he didn't, but he definitely did not. Thats OK though, this stuff is very durable and it didnt need primer. It was a very tight fit between the clutch cover and the oil filter cover as well, I had to trim them both to fit. I would suggest just buying the oil filter cover from a 2008 model if I was going to do it again. I also spent a long time with a box cutter cleaning up around the timing plugs and removing the line-x that was sprayed over taped areas etc. This stuff is so tough that once it dried on the tape it there was almost no use for the tape in the first place. Took me a long time, but it was well worth it. I also had to take a very sharp drill bit and drill out the holes for the bolts. That was quick and easy to do though.
Thanks for the compliments guys!
Keep the feedback coming.
-Rob

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamahafan

Posted June 30, 2008 - 09:15 AM

Looks really sweet with the blue Hammerhead case saver. How does the line-x affect the feel of your boots on the rear brake and the shifter? Do your boots catch? How much weight does it add?

• 02YZFkid

Posted June 30, 2008 - 10:19 AM

The line-x is really pretty thin so it doesnt effect the feel of the brakes or anything with the boots. I actually just took it for a quick spin around my house with work boots on, not motocross boots and I couldnt feel the difference at all. Its only a little thicker then a quarter. As far as weight the parts were noticably heavier then before i brought them in... but whats a couple ounces added to the bottom of your engine. I guarantee no one will feel it.
This mod is 100% for looks though, no doubt about that. There was no other need to have it done other then the fact that my engine cases will look brand new for years now, and I love the way the black cases looked on the 08's.

• corndog67

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:03 PM

How about retaining/radiating the heat coming off the engine?

• Stepdaddy

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:37 PM

How about retaining/radiating the heat coming off the engine?

I bet the sensable temps are much at all over stock...whats 5 more degrees on operation and a few min. longe cool down time

• 02YZFkid

Posted July 01, 2008 - 10:15 PM

I dont think its too bad. I know the clutch cover doesnt radiate much heat anyway. I dont know much about the other 2. I did feel them after a quick ride and I can say that they didnt feel that hot. The bike didnt seem to be running any hotter then normal either.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.