US army on 650R's ??

5 replies to this topic
  • Dutch

Posted December 07, 2002 - 01:55 PM

This guy is claiming the army is riding 650R's - can anybody verify that? Think of the surplus!!

• redrider650r

Posted December 07, 2002 - 02:19 PM

I cant say that I know they ride 650R's, but I can say that they ride KLR 650's. I have seen them at a Supercross event in Anaheim a few years back.

• Serpexc

Posted December 07, 2002 - 04:53 PM

As far as I know they went from the Kawasaki KLR250 to the KLR650(Same as the Marines). However at some point they purchased some Harley Davidson MT500s. It's a Rotax powered single, formerly Armstrong in the UK.(I saw some Brits riding them during Desert Storm) I guess Harley ran out of things to buy. I recently hopped one up for a guy. Just a small bit of usless info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted December 07, 2002 - 05:38 PM

Unfortunately the military is not using / riding XR650R's from what I know (not officially anyways), but they are using the Kawasaki KLR. The Marines (UK and US) are in process of switching over to a special diesel powered version of the KLR that can acheive up to 120 MPG and speeds up to 80 MPH. The bike is being built in Southern California and a commercial version will be available in the coming year. It will also be used in mining areas of West Africa and other ares where diesel and vegetable oils (biodiesel) are more readily availble than gas. Here's some links with more info on the new military KLR...

Speaking of alternate fueled bikes, have any of you seen the Y2K Superbike? This thing looks like a real screamer :D It's powered by a Rolls Royce Allison gas turbine engine running on diesel fuel and it has demonstrated over 300 horsepower and 425 ft/lbs of torque on a Dyno Jet 200. Imagine going 227 MPG in 15 seconds on two wheels :). At $185,000 each, it might not be for everyone.

There's some interesting electric & hybrid bikes being built as well and some of them are specifically for off road use. The next 15 years for bike technology should be very interesting and we'll probably see some major changes along the way. Heck...its was only a few years ago when people laughed at the thought of 4 strokes being competitive on a MX track and now look where 4 stroke technology is.

• FooBarr

Posted December 07, 2002 - 07:50 PM

I can't wait for the day when I go to the supercross and there is the aroma of french fries in the air instead of pre-mix.
Hey Qadsan, how about setting up a group purchase for a top-end swap to diesel jugs? Hmmm....would definetly be needing the e-start & fuel injection. But hey, imagine the torque?
Might even be able to bring back the two stroke with fuel injection. With bio-fuels the greenies wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

• qadsan

Posted December 07, 2002 - 08:54 PM

Diesel & torque...argh-argh-argh :)

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 4 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.