Help removing Disc Brake Rotor

7 replies to this topic
  • hazey123

Posted June 28, 2008 - 09:07 AM

I have been struggling to get the disc rotor off my front wheel on a 2002 426. I have nearly stripped both my 6mm Allen Wrench and the rotor bolt. Is there a trick to this. I used liquid wrench but is there something else. It does look like there may be some locktite on them. It is the original rotor and I'm betting has not been off since the factory. I am getting dangerously close to ruining the bolt. Any help is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

• WR_Dave

Posted June 28, 2008 - 09:52 AM

Due to the rotor bolt having a tapered head into the rotor, I recommend using the allen wrench to hold the bolt while using a box end wrench to loosen the nut on the back side. The tapered head offers alot of seating force and the allen wrench will just round out if you try to trun the bolt before loosening the nuts. WR Dave.

• Frostbite

Posted June 28, 2008 - 10:29 AM

I have been struggling to get the disc rotor off my front wheel on a 2002 426. I have nearly stripped both my 6mm Allen Wrench and the rotor bolt. Is there a trick to this. I used liquid wrench but is there something else. It does look like there may be some locktite on them. It is the original rotor and I'm betting has not been off since the factory. I am getting dangerously close to ruining the bolt. Any help is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

What Dave said - use a 6 point box end wrench to loosen the nuts behind the rotor. You may even have to double up with another wrench to break the nuts loose, as it's hard to get enough leverage with a standard short wrench. I slip the box end of a larger wrench over the open end of the wrench on the rotor bolts to double the length/leverage, like slipping a pipe over a wratchet. You use very little force on the allen key, just enough to keep it from turning after you break the nut loose. Most of the time you can break the nut loose without holding the allen side at all.

Yes on the locktite. I bought a couple of spare rotor bolts and they came with factory thread locking agent.

• KJ790

Posted June 28, 2008 - 11:08 AM

I'm pretty sure there are no nuts on the rotor bolts, they should thread into the hub. Steel and aluminum corrode when put together, which makes the bolts very hard to get out if the bike is older. Try using an impact driver with a good Allen head on it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted June 28, 2008 - 11:24 AM

I'm pretty sure there are no nuts on the rotor bolts, they should thread into the hub. Steel and aluminum corrode when put together, which makes the bolts very hard to get out if the bike is older. Try using an impact driver with a good Allen head on it.

KJ is correct. The rear has nuts but the front bolts thread right into the hub. My mistrake. :thumbsup:

• William1

Posted June 28, 2008 - 11:28 AM

Impact driver / Air gun are the only tools to use to remove rotor and sprocket bolts.

• hazey123

Posted June 29, 2008 - 05:10 PM

I don't have any air tools. Any tricks to for the average weekend mechanic? I was thinking maybe heat, or a few taps with a hammer might help loosen it up. The manual only calls for under 10 ft-lbs, it must be all in the locktite.

• WR_Dave

Posted June 29, 2008 - 07:50 PM

If you can get one of those hammer style impact drivers , you may get lucky. WR Dave.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.