Hard Starting '06 WR450F

13 replies to this topic
  • Enzo Chiapet

Posted June 28, 2008 - 05:07 AM

Fellow Dudes - I have a new '06 WR450F and went through all the cheap and easy mods (AIS removal, famous grey wire cut, Pro-Moto-Billet exhaust insert, and rejetted carb using setting recommended from a JD Jetting Kit). This is my first 4-stroke and frankly don't understand why it is so hard to start.:thumbsup:

When cold, it takes 20+ kicks :p and often I result to hitting the electric starter. Once running and warmed up, the bike seems to perform fine and starts much easier.:cry: Based on what I've read through this forum, I expected that once I did those mods, especially with the rejetting, that it would fire up almost immediately cold.

Thoughts about what I might be overlooking, or what I should look into.:p

Thanks in advance.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted June 28, 2008 - 06:45 AM

Its got to be something in the jetting. When cold, mine takes about 3 or 4 kicks to start. WHen its warm, first kick every time. You don't need to kick it hard, just smooth steady and full kicks. I kick mine in slow motion all the time because my battery dies after a few weeks of not riding.

Are you giving it a little throttle when you kick it. If you are... don't. Once it does start, does it shut off quickly? Maybe you need to turn the idle up a bit. I turn mine up a little high and then back off of it.

• chrispy1202

Posted June 28, 2008 - 04:16 PM

Try two blips of the throttle, choke on, and give her the magic button. May need to adjust the air/fuel screw.

• MountainMax

Posted June 28, 2008 - 06:51 PM

I was about to say the same, roll the throttle twice to prime the enging, pull the choke and mine starts first kick every time when cold, it's when it's warm it's a little tricker, but using the lean lever makes it start better when hot too.

• Enzo Chiapet

Posted June 29, 2008 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback. When I go to start the bike, I turn on the fuel, turn on choke, crank throttle twice, and then start. I might kick 6 times or so, then crank throttle again. Eventually I will get something of a burp (tech speak) that indicates it wants to start, and then maybe a 25% chance it starts on the next kick. Often, it's about another 3 to 5 kicks before she starts.

When she starts, it will run and not die. While still on choke, if I blip the throttle, it basically falls on it's face. As long as a blip it, it will keep running, but if I were to hold a little throttle open it will die. Once warmed up (60 - 90 seconds), I can come off choke and ride. Even then, at first, a blip of the throttle makes it hesitate. Only once really warmed up does this seem to go away.

The one thing that I have not done is adjust the air/fuel mixture screw. When I did the Jetting, I noticed there is small plug like device with a hole blocking access. I've read in other posts that I need to simply remove this permanently. Also, I just got in the other a day an air/fuel mixture screw that I can adjust on the fly. It was not the Zipty brand that seems to be popular on this board, but instead a Ride Engineering brand. I haven't installed this yet; and will go back to the JD Jetting recommendations to set it.

Do you all think that based on the above, that it's the simply the air/fuel mixture setting?

Thanks again for any advice.
jon

• squid

Posted June 29, 2008 - 11:56 AM

If your kicking it to start it your probably giving it gas as you kick it and are flooding the bike. Try twisting the throttle twice and and starting it with the button. I only kick mine over as a last resort so far i haven't had to .

• William1

Posted June 29, 2008 - 12:24 PM

Brand new bike? First, check the plug, perhaps even a new one, make sure it is gapped properly.

New used bike? Check the valve clearances.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dube2

Posted June 29, 2008 - 12:44 PM

Same for me. I have an 05 and an 08. The 05 was hard starting after all the free mods and the AIS kit. A buddy of mine told me to twist the idle just a scoesh...... She fired right up. Same for the 08, free mods and AIS kit. I thought I'd try w/out the idle twist and no dice. So I twisted the idle just a scoesh agian and WALA!.:thumbsup:

I'm sure jetting is the way to go, but for me my bikes run just fine.

$.02, Dube2 :p

• SID013

Posted June 29, 2008 - 05:16 PM

I 2nd on the valve clearances, At 1000km mine needed adjusting as it was getting hard to start & once done fired up beautifully. Also I always run a NGK Iridium spark plug as this makes it fire up much better.

Cheers

• Enzo Chiapet

Posted June 29, 2008 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the advice. After reading, I thought that maybe I might be flooding the bike, so this evening I went out to start it cold. I opened the throttle one time, and then began kicking. 5th kick it fired and kept right on going. It might not be the 1st or 2nd kick, but I can live with this! You can tell, I'm not a pro.

I'll check the plug next; it's still the one the dealer had in it and assume it's gapped correctly. The bike only has 45 miles on it, so I'm still breaking it in. I do plan on getting the valves adjusted probably after I get the first 100 miles on it; which is hopefully around Independence Day weekend.

Thanks again! This forum is fantastic.
jon

• swede426

Posted June 29, 2008 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the advice. After reading, I thought that maybe I might be flooding the bike, so this evening I went out to start it cold. I opened the throttle one time, and then began kicking. 5th kick it fired and kept right on going. It might not be the 1st or 2nd kick, but I can live with this! You can tell, I'm not a pro.

I'll check the plug next; it's still the one the dealer had in it and assume it's gapped correctly. The bike only has 45 miles on it, so I'm still breaking it in. I do plan on getting the valves adjusted probably after I get the first 100 miles on it; which is hopefully around Independence Day weekend.

Thanks again! This forum is fantastic.
jon

It's something wrong if you have to blip the throttle after it started so it wont die, it sounds a bit lean to me.
Try open the mix/fuel screw 1 quarts lap at a time, if you have no luck with mixture screw, go back to stock settings regarding carburator, and get it start good first and then you can make the mods, ONE AT A TIME so you know when it's going wrong.
5 kicks is to much, should fire up 1st or 2nd.

• MountainMax

Posted June 30, 2008 - 03:36 AM

how long does the bike sit when cold before you restart, I find if i leave my bike for like a week or more it gets a little harder to start, but not if I drive it every day,

• Enzo Chiapet

Posted June 30, 2008 - 11:51 AM

The bike had been sitting for just over 2 weeks. It has been hard to start since I bought it a couple months back. I've only been out on it twice, just hard to find time with early summer kid activities going on.

I'm planning on installing the Ride Engineering air/fuel mixture screw either tonight or tomorrow night and set it to the JD Jetting recommendations (1 1/4 turn out). Given I'm riding this weekend, I'll first make minor adjustments with the air/fuel mixture only and see what happens.

Thanks again!
jon

• MountainMax

Posted June 30, 2008 - 12:40 PM

Just run the bike, and the next day try to start it again, two quick twists of the throttle, choke and estart, see how it starts... this will tell you if the jetting is ok, every time i leave my bike for that long it's always hard to start,

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.