How often should I be changing spark plugs?

21 replies to this topic
  • mikeythefokker

Posted June 27, 2008 - 11:42 PM

I have an 07 wr450. It runs great, always starts easily and is still on the original spark plug. How often should it be changed? Thanks.

• SRT426

Posted June 28, 2008 - 02:33 AM

I change mine once a year on my 2001 YZ426 that I use to trail ride. I probably run it 50hrs a year and it always looks good when I pull it.

• ajetmech

Posted June 30, 2008 - 10:13 AM

I change mine every 3 months when I check valves and stuff. I ride and race in the Desert.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 30, 2008 - 10:23 AM

Every other year when I buy a new WR:busted:

• brad the best

Posted June 30, 2008 - 12:38 PM

when it shows wear . usually once a year or two .

• MountainMax

Posted June 30, 2008 - 05:55 PM

I wondered the same thing, mine is on it's 3rd summer now and over 5000km and the plug still looks good. and runs even better :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted July 01, 2008 - 04:06 AM

I wondered the same thing, mine is on it's 3rd summer now and over 5000km and the plug still looks good. and runs even better :thumbsup:

Iridium?

• MountainMax

Posted July 01, 2008 - 05:45 AM

yeah, I put one in as soon as i bought the bike.

• redswr

Posted July 01, 2008 - 12:54 PM

me too... i think my 99 still has the stock one actually :thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted July 02, 2008 - 06:29 AM

Man, I still have the stock plug in my 05 WR. Not bragging, just realized that I should have at least pulled it to see if it's still in tact?:thumbsup: It fires right up every time, so never had a reason to check it out.

So how do you guys like the NGK Iridium Plug?. I needs to try one. What is the difference? Does it really get you better MPG, throttle responce and easier starting like they say it does?.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • C-P

Posted July 05, 2008 - 10:57 AM

I just change mine every Spring, after leaving it in with storage oil and whatnot over the winter.

• swede426

Posted July 05, 2008 - 12:45 PM

Man, I still have the stock plug in my 05 WR. Not bragging, just realized that I should have at least pulled it to see if it's still in tact?:thumbsup: It fires right up every time, so never had a reason to check it out.

So how do you guys like the NGK Iridium Plug?. I needs to try one. What is the difference? Does it really get you better MPG, throttle responce and easier starting like they say it does?.

I noticed 2 things when changing to Iridium, easier start and runs much smoother, especially on low rpm:s.

• driftevo361

Posted July 05, 2008 - 07:43 PM

someone is makin bank and plays their cards right

• byggd

Posted July 06, 2008 - 04:50 AM

I noticed 2 things when changing to Iridium, easier start and runs much smoother, especially on low rpm:s.

+1 :thumbsup: plus it starts easier after a low speed tip over and I need all the help I can get in that area :p

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 06, 2008 - 07:33 PM

someone is makin bank and plays their cards right

I wish... years ago I bought a new bike - paid cash, now every other year I sell a two year old bike and buy a new one with some money saved over the past two years... works out great. And I save money on sparkplugs:lol:

• Bamster

Posted July 06, 2008 - 08:40 PM

I used to put an iridium in once a year, if it needed it or not.

If your jetting is right your plug will last forever.

• Pooley

Posted July 10, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Honestly, I think my plug is 3+ years old. 01 WR426 that starts first or second kick, and runs perfectly.

• jetfuel

Posted July 10, 2008 - 12:10 PM

My riding bud just dropped off his bike yesterday saying it was running a little rough ( 98' WR400 ).

Today I asked him when did you change the plug last, He said I don't think I ever have..

You be the judge.. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• MountainMax

Posted July 10, 2008 - 12:22 PM

oh, that looks bad and rusty, but don't look so bad at the electrode, you have a close up of that part?

• SJMC_DON

Posted July 10, 2008 - 12:30 PM

That plug looks OK from what I can see.... the rust is just an indication that he washed the bike often :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.