Unsafe!!

5 replies to this topic
  • crashhard_17

Posted June 27, 2008 - 10:23 PM

Ok guys heres the deal...i need your help... I have a 99 YZ 400 F and im having problems with the bike bogging over bumps and jumps, If i hit a set of whoops i can hit the first whoop hard but then the bike bogs when i go to give it some more juice to make it through the section, it sends me right into the handlebars...no fun! then over jumps it likes to bog mid air and on the landing...i thought maybe it could be that i was hitting the sections in to high of a gear so i dropped down a gear but it would still do it but it wouldnt be as bad...I feel so unsafe on the track now because i cant control the bike mid air or gas it when i land:thumbsdn: The only thing i have messed with on my carb is i put in one size bigger of a pilot jet to help with starting and i messed with the fuel screw a little bit but none of that helped with the bogging. The bike shop suggested i get the carb checked out for worn parts but i had the bike shop tear it down last year and clean it out...still didnt help...maybe the parts are worn now...i dont know...they also suggested the Quickshot Accelerator pump...Im thinking about getting it but wanted to ask for your guys input first.

• DeeCee

Posted June 28, 2008 - 12:31 AM

Have you tried changing back to the original pilot jet ?

If this cures your problem you have the answer as it is possible the pilot jet is now too large.

Also carnurettor cleanliness is vital, could be you have some dirt in the passageways. Stripo the carb and blow out all the passages. Also flush your tank to ensure there is no dirt in there.

There should not be any need to consider adding after market components to cure this problem.

My 400 has stock jetting and throttles just fine.

• SRT426

Posted June 28, 2008 - 02:28 AM

Check your floats to make sure there set properly. Change back to your original jetting, and clean then hell out of the carb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 28, 2008 - 06:18 AM

Float level should be checked first. Then be sure your carb is clean and jetted right, and that the idle mix is set correctly.

After that, you mighty want to look into this old trick:

http://docta-zaius.f.../whats_new.html

• intensem1rider

Posted June 28, 2008 - 02:14 PM

Could maybe be that your accelerator pump diaphram has failed?? Or is seized?

• USED YZ426F

Posted June 28, 2008 - 07:33 PM

Start with cleaning the carb, checking for broken parts, and set the floats as per the manual. If that doesn't fix the problem, and it has only started doing it since you changed the pilot jet, try going back to stock.

Throwing aftermarket parts at this sort of problem only leads to a lighter wallet.

Just my .02 cents and YMMV.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.