A Kid On A Yz450f!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

40 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted June 29, 2008 - 06:48 PM

No way, a 450 is not the bike to get. First of all, you are likely too small for one and you wont be able to throw it around easy enough,

He rides a WR400 now, Adam. And he's 5'8", 200 lbs.

Riding with no fear is one thing, riding with no sense is another. The YZ450 is capable of generating very high speeds in an astoundingly cavalier manner, and you can find yourself in way over your head before you know it.

If you're used to the size and weight of the 400, you can probably handle an '05 or later model. The '03 and '04 have too much of a "muscle car" sort of power delivery, and that can intimidate novice riders to the detriment of their learning experience. The later models feed the power in a much more manageable fashion.

As far as two strokes being good learning platforms, I don't agree, necessarily. My son learned more in the first two months on a 250F than in the previous two years one a CR80.

• swede426

Posted June 29, 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi guys, im 13 yearsold I ride a 99 wr400 and I think I ride pretty good my dad says that I ride with no fear and im looking to upgrade on a yz450f and I just wanted your guys opion if I should stick with my 400 or get a yz450f thanks,

When you feel you can handle the 400 as you want and feel that you're not developing any moore on the 400, then it's time to switch.

• JSanfilippo

Posted June 29, 2008 - 11:16 PM

Go for it!

I once saw a TTer (forgot his user name) at a riding spot. The kid was in his mid teens, about 5'6", and all of 145 lbs. He was absolutely manhandling his YZ 426f. At the time I was riding a cushy trail bike and watching this kid ride made me feel like a tool :thumbsup: because this kid much smaller than me was absolutely railing on a bike with twice the power and about 30 lbs less weight. IIRC his 426 was a step up from either a TT-R 125 or a CRF 150f :p

Alot of people push the 125s because they condition their riders for presise clutching and how to carry as much speed as possible. For alot of riders, thats simply not their style (guilty as charged). If the OP (parents) can afford a new 450 good on them. The transition from a 400 to a 450 shouldn't be that big of an issue.

• Jim813

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:38 AM

Im 14, 6' and 190lb and just bought an 08 yz450 coming off an 03 KTM 125sx( and 06 250sxf and 04 125sx).

• patcap

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:46 AM

big kid-big bike=big fun? if yer folks are sportin ya a new 450 run with it man,just do it before they change thier minds:busted:

• Jim813

Posted June 30, 2008 - 09:07 AM

big kid-big bike=big fun? if yer folks are sportin ya a new 450 run with it man,just do it before they change thier minds:busted:

The problem is my folks didnt spot me any money, the money from the first bike they bought me keeps rolling over! Good thing My first bike was worth enough to sell again for the same price a year later:thumbsup:

• BASSic

Posted June 30, 2008 - 02:46 PM

You'll be able to ride any bike you can get your hands on, but it all comes down to what you want to do with it. If you're trail riding for fun or hitting MX tracks just for practice, then there's nothing wrong with a 450.

However, keep in mind the 250F, 250 2t, or 125 2t are lighter bikes. I ride a 01 YZ426 that is quite heavy by today's standards, but it has more power than I can handle. I've been riding motorcycles for 20 years and I haven't taken advantage of all the power that my bike makes. I couldn't imagine a bike with more power that weighs less, like the new breed of 450s.

Don't just get the bike with the biggest engine - get the correct bike for the job. If you're just playing around and you can find a 450 at a good price, go for it. If you're looking to do any competitive racing, my opinion is that you should try out a 250F (or even a 125 or 250 2t!!!)

• adamdf

Posted June 30, 2008 - 05:29 PM

He rides a WR400 now, Adam. And he's 5'8", 200 lbs.

Riding with no fear is one thing, riding with no sense is another. The YZ450 is capable of generating very high speeds in an astoundingly cavalier manner, and you can find yourself in way over your head before you know it.

If you're used to the size and weight of the 400, you can probably handle an '05 or later model. The '03 and '04 have too much of a "muscle car" sort of power delivery, and that can intimidate novice riders to the detriment of their learning experience. The later models feed the power in a much more manageable fashion..

Gray, ok i didnt realise he was 200lbs. In that case, a 450 might be okay as you say. But i think it is very important to find out exactly what kind of riding he plans to do, if he plans to just ride in the hills/desert/other kinds of trails, then i say yes get the 450. But most guys with less than 2 years riding experience will have a tough time developing their skills on any technically challenging supercross styled courses, it only takes for their body to slip too far back coming off one jump, only to be flying off the face of the jump after that with their bodys hanging off the back of the bike and the throttle twisted all the way back......i think you understand where i am going with this?:thumbsup: I know we have all seen it at some point or another. And for that kind of riding, i would recommend something that can be tossed around easily. Otherwise the 450 is great.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:03 PM

my question is how the hay did kids start getting so heavy :thumbsup:

• Barkley_Nik

Posted June 30, 2008 - 07:07 PM

well u can get the 450 and look at it two ways.. One is that it will be 100x better than your 400 in every aspect, the other way is you are only 13.. therefore u cant race it at most tracks that i know of (atleast around MI) becuase you have to be 16 to race a 450.. and if ur small and crash hard, that is ALOT of bike throwing u any way it wants to, which can result in worse injuries.. but its really up to u

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2008 - 08:29 PM

my question is how the hay did kids start getting so heavy :thumbsup:

Junk food and X-Box.

My son is 190, but he's 6'3", 18 years old, and strong as a bull.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted July 01, 2008 - 06:23 AM

Junk food and X-Box.

Yea you gotta have the proper height to weight ratio and age is always a factor :thumbsup: haha

• zacw

Posted July 01, 2008 - 07:56 PM

Dude I am about 5'11 and I weigh about 155... I just got an 08 yz450f limited... I think you should try one first though... I mean it is a big jump from that 400... It is fast but very smooth... And the power isn't the problem it is the overall weight and size of the bike...

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:22 PM

the power isn't the problem it is the overall weight and size of the bike...

Now picture yourself on a bike that has 9 less horsepower and weighs 40 pounds more.

• moto on rm250

Posted July 01, 2008 - 08:46 PM

its more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow. save a few grand and get a used 125 in good condition. half throttle on a 450 may be just as fast as full throttle on a 125 but its not nearly as fun

• Michael Cahill

Posted July 02, 2008 - 10:10 PM

its up to you dude :thumbsup:

its more about size than age :cry:

if your comfortable on it, and can pick it up, and take off on it without being the slightest bit worried about it being too powerfull... than go for it!

you just dont want to be on a bike, that you have to go easy on, because your not comfortable with it.

So my advice: go borrow one, and take it for a ride (on the type of riding your plan to be ridding on) and see how you like it.

if it scares the hell out of you... its probably too big!! :p
if you love it... and dont want to get off of it... go buy one!! :p

• ESS

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:16 PM

My kid started riding his 450 when he was twelve. He was only about 5'2" and a little over 100lbs. Sure pissed off a lot of adults that got smoked by what they thought was a midget. hehe Made them more mad when they found out it was a little kid. He has been riding since he was 3years old though, so maybe that helped. Also he had just switched from a 125GP road race bike that he had been riding since he was 10 to a Kawasaki 636. So he was used to speed and power.

So don't let age alone decide what bike to ride. Experience needs to be considered also.

• grayracer513

Posted July 08, 2008 - 08:36 PM

He was only about 5'2" and a little over 100lbs. Sure pissed off a lot of adults that got smoked by what they thought was a midget. hehe Made them more mad when they found out it was a little kid.

True story: My son was tall for his age at 14, but not real "big" looking. Our group spent the day chasing around the trails at speed with another group we met. Junior was up front with the fast guys all day. One guy on a CRF450 asked me his age, and I told him. Then he said, "Wow, 14, huh? How long has he been riding that 426?"

I looked at him for a second as a mischievous grin spread over my face, then finally I said, "That's a 250F." :thumbsup:

• lluks252

Posted July 09, 2008 - 10:54 AM

Seriously, wow I'm 20 and just got a 2003 YZ450F last winter, coming off a 1996 RM250, in my opinion look for a 2005 KX250F, my friend races A class and rips it on his 05 KX250F w/ mods though, they are sick at your age & size a 250F should be perfect but its up to you

• lilcane88

Posted July 20, 2008 - 02:02 PM

you dont need a 450. im 13 5'6'' 105lbs. and i ride a 125. sure i can get on a 450 and ride around in 2nd gear. but why when i can turn faster,jump further and do anything better on my 125 in 4th gear. its not all about power. its about your ability to use the power.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.