'98 YZ400F Rear Sprocket Question

5 replies to this topic
  • parkwinesguy

Posted June 27, 2008 - 08:34 PM

Complete novice to riding, going to take a look at a '98 YZ400F that says only problem is broken rear sprocket. What might a new middle-of-the-road sprocket cost for this bike? I know you can pretty much spend as much as you want for parts but just a reasonably priced one?

Also, what problems to look for on this bike?
Thanks in advance,

• Slinkyman16

Posted June 27, 2008 - 09:55 PM

if one is broken then i would replace both sprockets and the chain..

right now on motosport u can get a complete sunline kit for 116 shipped. or you can get something like a renthal kit for 139.. its really depends on how much u want..

• parkwinesguy

Posted June 27, 2008 - 09:58 PM

Thanks Slinky. And how many teeth would you go for this bike? 49, 50?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slinkyman16

Posted June 27, 2008 - 10:08 PM

im not sure.. ive never owned the 400.. but i would start out with stock gearing then change it depending on ur needs.

• parkwinesguy

Posted June 27, 2008 - 10:25 PM

Okay, thanks for the advice.

• DeeCee

Posted June 28, 2008 - 12:16 AM

I reccomend you establish what caused the sprocket to be broken. If it was too tight a chain check the rear hub because tight chains are known to cause broken rear hubs as well.

There is another thread running on this forum at present regarding buying a 400f and what to look for, check it out.

Basically if it is in good condition, and been regularly maintained, it should be OK. They have a good reputation for reliablity.

Good luck.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.