Tools & Misc maint info.

5 replies to this topic
  • weldpro

Posted May 25, 2002 - 09:30 PM

Who makes the best chain breaker/riveter? , and does anybody have a link for buying one online?
Also do you have to take off the chain to grease up all the swing arm/rear shock linkage? After taking a good look at this it does not seem like you would have to but who am I eh. I also need to buy a lock ring wrench adapter for the steering lock nut- any suggestions here?
Thanks for all the help in advance,
weldpro

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 26, 2002 - 02:22 AM

www.motionpro.com

Remove the swingarm and the chain will follow. When installing the swingarm slide the chain around the arm first. (or you can pop the master link clip)

Additionally you will want to purchase a master link compressor tool...the $15.00 one is more than sufficient.

Bonzai :)

• skthom2320

Posted May 26, 2002 - 05:31 AM

You can also get the motion pro chain breaker from www.rockymountainmc.com and www.bobscycle.com. Easier to call their toll free numbers though.

I just used a punch to get the steering head lock ring loose. It doesn't take much, it's not supposed to be torqued much at all, just enough to keep the bearing straight in the race. The triple clamp nut torqued at 105 ft-lbs is what keeps it all together.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weldpro

Posted May 26, 2002 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the info! I was able to grease up all the swing arm/ shock linkage fairly quickly. All the bearings seemed to have plenty of grease but I cleaned them out & re-greased anyways. Now I need to get to the steering bearings!
I have been reading here on TT that the upper steering bearing loses it's grease becuase of heat from the oil washing it down- well my question is has anyone tried to use automotive type "high temp disc brake grease"? This is what I plan on using (a moly type).
Thanks again,
weldpro

• Jekel

Posted May 26, 2002 - 12:55 PM

hey Weldpro. Is Susanville still as nice as it was 25 years ago? I grew up there until about the 4th grade. now I live in Mo. and I also border the forest. It is sooooo nice. We have around 160 acres to play on prior to crossing over to forest land and only 5 miles from the established trails :D :D :)

• Mr_Toyz

Posted May 27, 2002 - 08:10 AM

Silkolene RG2 works well for the stem as well as all other pivoting points.

Mr Toyz

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.