buying a new bike next weekend

7 replies to this topic
  • dphillips21

Posted May 25, 2002 - 03:58 PM

I have only ridden and owned ATV's in the past and currently but want to start riding dirt bikes. I ride woods and trails, with hills and wide open fire roads with some tight twisty sections. I am considering a WR or YZ 426F or a KTM 300EXC. I guess I need help in making my decision. I can get excellent prices on any one of them so that is not a factor.

• radar_ridr

Posted May 25, 2002 - 05:06 PM

WR426 - Parts are cheaper and easier to get. Less maintenance.

KTM - They are just cool. Chicks dig them. Neighborhood children gather to watch you ride off. Farm dogs don't chase you. Bugs never get in your helmet. DCNR cops pull you over just to compliment you on your bike. You learn a lot about tools.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted May 26, 2002 - 01:06 AM

Before i hired a wr426 for the day, i had riden a ktm 300 for the day and a 380 for an hour or so, and it they were great, so i was going to buy the 380 because they were cheeper second hand (just needed to tame the 380 down, which you can buy a single tapered needle and that does that, but the 426 realy grabed me by the balls and a mounth or so later i rode a ktm 300 again and couldn't wait to get off it, personal opinion but i hope it helps.

• John_B

Posted May 26, 2002 - 03:46 AM

I don't know anything about KTM's but while on my way riding yesterday I stop by the local grocery store and one of the cashiers talked to me about bikes. He used to ride a Banshee and decided to buy a bike and purchased a CR250 and he wants to sell it because he is having a hard time controlling the power. I suggested to him to buy a 4 stroke (WR400) because it has the best of all worlds. You can ride as fast as you want or you can take it easy on the trail. It has all you need. Is there anyway you can test ride them first?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmarion

Posted May 26, 2002 - 12:58 PM

I purchased a KTM 300 (92), when I got back into riding after a 15 year lay off.
The KTM 300 is a perfect VET bike, for trailing riding, crusing, hill climbing and all around great machine. This bike was a reliable bike (if you treat it well, frequant oil changes etc.)
This bike was not for MX. Soft suspenison, lacked massive power HIT. I was always looking for another gear when riding in the Dez.

I purchased the 1999 YZ 400, to start racing MX after 22 years.

Both bikes have there good traits, it all depends, what type of bike your looking for. If you have any desire to Race..... any.... than get the 426 for sure.

• Jekel

Posted May 26, 2002 - 01:07 PM

Moved from a 96 KTM 300 to my current WR400. Both bikes are excellent. both are better than the other in ways. On the four stroke I am faster and smoother in my riding style. My .02

• dphillips21

Posted May 26, 2002 - 04:45 PM

Thanks to all who replied, you have been real helpful. I think I'm leaning towards the WR426.

• YZ400Court

Posted May 26, 2002 - 07:59 PM

Originally posted by radar_ridr:
WR426 - Parts are cheaper and easier to get. Less maintenance.

KTM - They are just cool. Chicks dig them. Neighborhood children gather to watch you ride off. Farm dogs don't chase you. Bugs never get in your helmet. DCNR cops pull you over just to compliment you on your bike. You learn a lot about tools.

WR less maintenance? No way. I am a die hard 4 stroke fan. That was until I tried a friends 300 EXC. Now I might be tempted to try a smoker. He changes the oil every 4 or 5 rides, thats it. The bike is as reliable as any out there. After a few years, I don't think he had to change more than tires and a couple of plugs. Yes the stock suspension is soft, but perfect for a newbie. I would have to rate the 300 exc as one of the best all around dirtbikes. You can lug it like a 4 stroke, or let it rip in two smoke mode. No start drill either, just kick and go. I wish I had bought the 300 before I blew all that money on the YZ engine rebuilds, and the 520 EXC. Next time the YZ blows up I'm gonna try a 300 EXC.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.