Hot Cams for WR426?

10 replies to this topic
  • Superwilly

Posted June 27, 2008 - 06:49 AM

Hi guys, I have my '02 WR426 in the shop right now for some valve work. I'm thinking of getting a Hot Cams auto-decompressing cam thrown in at the same time.

Do I need to get the Hot Cams exhaust AND intake cams to make the bike auto-decompressing, or just the exhaust cam? Can someone give me an idea of best choice to make in this regard?

How will installing one or both affect performance?

Thanks!
-Super

• Superwilly

Posted June 27, 2008 - 07:08 AM

Another question, are the hot cams automatically auto-decompressing, or do I need Hotcams from an '03 450? Can someone provide me with a link to buy the exact product I need, or at least a link to the exact product(s) on the HOtcams website? I'm in Canada, but I can order from the US as well.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted June 27, 2008 - 09:48 AM

Skip the hot cams, Have them install an 03 YZ450 auto comp. cam
Your wallet will be happier and your bike will rip!

Thats what I did for my 01 WR

• byggd

Posted June 27, 2008 - 01:55 PM

Skip the hot cams, Have them install an 03 YZ450 auto comp. cam
Your wallet will be happier and your bike will rip!

Thats what I did for my 01 WR

+1 :thumbsup:

• JJHayesIII

Posted June 27, 2008 - 02:58 PM

This is the one I got:
http://www.hotcamsin...w&productid=488

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted June 27, 2008 - 05:35 PM

You can run the 03 YZ450 cam to get the autodecomp, and you will get the same performance ae a YZ, and very similar perfomance to a hot cams exhaust only. The Hot Cams intake doesn't affect autodecomp, but gives you a noticable boost in the mid and upper end over just the exhaust cam.

• jbrooks26

Posted June 27, 2008 - 06:39 PM

I got a good deal on the YZ/WR 426 Hotcam on an auction site. I am running the exhaust cam by itself. It is autodecomp, and you can use the 03 YZ exhaust cam. Just be aware that the timing is a little on the tricky side if you use the 03 cam. There are many links on TT for timing this and if you do your homework it is not difficult, but it is easy to mess up if you don't pay attention to what you are doing. Hope this helps.

Josh

• DeeCee

Posted June 27, 2008 - 07:50 PM

I have just done the cam mod to my 400. The ease of starting has improved immensely, especially when stalling/falling in awkward places.

You will be delighted with the outcome I am sure. I wouldn't worry too much about the apparent power gains of the hotcam over the OEM, especially if you are not racing seriously.

• maxtherat

Posted June 27, 2008 - 07:52 PM

I did the hotcams in and out. After some jetting the bike runs and starts great. Big difference in the midrange but, it's still very ridable. I heard the only negative with the 450 cam is that the pitch on the cam gear is a little different than the 426 timing chain. It's well worth the money. Do yourself a favor a get one of the aluminum block off plugs to replace the decomp lever. The stock plug for 03-05 wrs tend to pop out after time.

• yammy426

Posted June 28, 2008 - 03:59 AM

has anyone had any major failures with the 03 YZ cam in there WR426s. im looking for the bottom end mid range power they offer but am worried about the wrecking my engine. has anyone done alot miles without failures?

• bigdrtrdr

Posted June 28, 2008 - 01:58 PM

has anyone had any major failures with the 03 YZ cam in there WR426s. im looking for the bottom end mid range power they offer but am worried about the wrecking my engine. has anyone done alot miles without failures?

3000 miles and no issues

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.