Oil Filter?

14 replies to this topic
  • Ethan Utley

Posted June 26, 2008 - 04:09 PM

I hear people say that you don't have to change your oil filter every time you change your oil. Is that true? I read the FAQ's.

• zukrider

Posted June 26, 2008 - 04:28 PM

I change my filter every other oil change. It saves 7 or 8 bucks and is still doing its job. Thats one more tank of gas for riding:ride:

• tribalbc

Posted June 26, 2008 - 05:45 PM

Get a stainless. Then you do clean it every change, no cost. Another big advantage is you see what comes out of it everytime so you can monitor how things are going inside :thumbsup:
Sure hasn't been a hell of alot coming out of my filter each time so I'm sure you're good with every other change.

• swede426

Posted June 26, 2008 - 06:22 PM

I hear people say that you don't have to change your oil filter every time you change your oil. Is that true? I read the FAQ's.

I check my filter everytime i change oil but I dont change it if I dont have to.

• swede426

Posted June 26, 2008 - 06:24 PM

Get a stainless. Then you do clean it every change, no cost. Another big advantage is you see what comes out of it everytime so you can monitor how things are going inside :thumbsup:
Sure hasn't been a hell of alot coming out of my filter each time so I'm sure you're good with every other change.

I bought a yammi stock oil filter last week and it looked like it was cleanable(stainless)......?

• RedBull420

Posted June 26, 2008 - 06:57 PM

Scotts stainless is way to go, clean it out and reuse.

• Dube2

Posted June 26, 2008 - 07:23 PM

OEM Yam filter after every three rides. K&N filter after every 5 rides. I plan on doing the scotts and just clean..............

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CGNKatana

Posted June 27, 2008 - 04:14 AM

I change my filter every other oil change. It saves 7 or 8 bucks and is still doing its job. Thats one more tank of gas for riding:ride:

Me too. Plus, that's what my manual states to do...

• dl19

Posted June 27, 2008 - 07:14 AM

Every 200-1000, and oil every 1-200. I use K&N. If I do a lot of long rides with no clutch or hard riding then I just change the oil. If a lot of single track and clutch work then I change it out at 2-300. I rode in AZ on a pretty hard single track for only around 40miles. I changed everything after that trip at only 100 miles. This issue has been debated a lot. I like the Scotts idea just not the micron size compared to the K&N or better papers.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 27, 2008 - 12:08 PM

I use the Parts Unlimited paper filters, I get them for about $3 ea through my sponsor... I am using semi synthetic and changing oil after every 3rd ride or 2nd race and filter gets changed every other oil change.... based on how long I own bikes and how cheap the filters are to me it's easier for me to just chuck them and install new. The Scott's is a good deal though but frankly I am lazy and just pulling a $3 filter from the box and slapping it in there makes it even easier to be lazy:busted:

• face_plant

Posted June 27, 2008 - 01:25 PM

every othere change is fine
the stainless yama filter is .2 mm longer i am afraod it will not seal

• swede426

Posted June 27, 2008 - 02:39 PM

How do you mean it will not seal, if it's longer it should seal better or....?
If I cant trust stock parts like oilfilter then what can I trust.

• mikeythefokker

Posted July 01, 2008 - 01:25 AM

During the summer it's an air filter every ride, an oil change every two rides, and an oil filter every two oil changes. During the winter I can get away with going two or three rides between cleaning the air filter, and usually just end up changing the oil at the same time.

• w00dsRider

Posted July 01, 2008 - 09:50 AM

If you're not already, I suggest using a magnetic oil drain plug. It'll help keep your oil filters clean longer regardless if you're using paper or metal. When using a paper filter I could easily go two oil changes without worry.

• grayracer513

Posted July 01, 2008 - 11:26 AM

I bought a yammi stock oil filter last week and it looked like it was cleanable(stainless)......?

The good news is that all YZF oil filters from '98-'08 are interchangeable, and will seal up and work without problems.

The bad news is that the mesh filters for the older '98-'02 models are NOT stainless, and don't filter very well at all. They are capable of filtering only to about 80 microns, as compared to 35 for a Scotts. Furthermore, the brass mesh is easily damaged in cleaning, and can be opened up to allow even larger particles to pass without the damage being visible. They were never intended as reusable filters. I recommend you not use them.

I use a Scotts. I bought two for the bikes I had at the time more than four years ago, and I've had a clean oil filter with every oil change ever since. They saved me so much money, even vs. $2 bulk filters, that those two paid for the filters for the bikes I replaced those two with.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.