Forks slipping in clamps?

4 replies to this topic
  • FLeX484

Posted June 26, 2008 - 08:42 AM

I recently purchased a set of applied 24mm triple clamps. at the same time i got my forks serviced. When i started putting it all back together, i noticed some oil on the forks which i cleaned with some simple green. Now it seems like every other ride my forks have slid up about 5mm in the triple clamps. I torque'd everthing to manual specs! Are they sliding up because i did not get all the oil off the forks? or did i use the wrong stuff to remove the oil? Do i tighten up the bolts just a little more than the manual says?

thanks for the advice!!

• teddy81

Posted June 26, 2008 - 08:49 AM

simple green can be pretty slick, try washing the area off with soap and water and try it again, but I wouldnt overtighten the clamps the torque is set for a reason.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted June 26, 2008 - 09:23 AM

As said, try cleaning them with something like contact cleaner. Also, when you torque them make sure you go back and forth on the bolts until they both are at the right torque, don't just tighten one until it clicks then tighten the other to the torque and leave it.

• Ga426owner

Posted June 26, 2008 - 10:14 AM

You will need to pull the forks out of the clamps. Clean the forks and the inside clamps, use soapy water and rinse/dry/reinstall to 14 lower/17 upper ft/ reason to mess up the finish on the clamps.....:thumbsup:

• snowdog

Posted June 26, 2008 - 10:20 AM

clean them and scuff up the insides of the clamps with a scotchbrite pad (dont kill em just take off the shine) than clean them again.

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.