Free Mod Info ??? HELP!!

3 replies to this topic
  • MY02'WR426F

Posted May 25, 2002 - 05:45 AM

Hey guys!! Just got my WR 426 a month ago, and I love it!! I have been riding a 82 Honda XL 500R for about the last 6-7 years. That bike really took a licking and kept on ticking. What a beast!! Love that one too. But it was time to get a new one. Allmost got a XR 400. The WR looked too sweet. So anyway, the new technology for bikes is new stuff for me. I want to do the free mods and thats about it. Not interested yet in any carb changes. All you guys are great, but for someone who is still lost in the 80's, I dont know excactly what you are talking about.Dont get me wrong, I am very mechanically inclined. Ive rebuilt 3 toyota motors including my 4x4 pickup V6 engine after I found out that the truck does not run well in 3 1/2 feet of water!! Just want to know what does the grey wire cut do,the lt. blue wire cut do and where to find these wires, what does de-octopussed mean,drain plug zip ty?,and what does uncorked mean,and anything else?? I am in RI. with lots of woods here and in CT. Does anyone live around here?? If so email me at no_fear_racer@hotmail.com or shanic@cox.net Thanks guys any info will help. Happy Trails!! Dave

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: MY02'WR426F ]

• S_Phillips

Posted May 25, 2002 - 05:52 AM

are you guys zip tying the big black hose coming down

Why would we do that?? It's the blow by. I wouldn't think that would not be a good thing to do.

[ May 25, 2002: Message edited by: S Phillips ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted May 25, 2002 - 03:32 PM

Welcome to TT, and the world of Blue...

The free mods you have seen mentioned have all been discussed at great lenght on this board in the past, and if you use the search feature, you will get hours and hours of reading...

To summarise:

The grey wire mod will allow your ignition module to run a different ignition map, and this results in more power.

The blue wire mod is one that some say helps with starting their bike... both the blue and grey wires will be found under your petrol tank...

Uncorked is often used as a generic term to free up the breathing on the bike - basically it involves the removal of the airbox lid, and the restrictor i the muffler...

The zip-ty drain plug is a popular accessory i that it is a strong magnet built into the oil drain plug and helps to cath small bits of metal that may be floating around in your oil. www.ziptyracing.com has all the details...

Basically, if you have a stock, US model Wr, then the best mods, done one at a time, are:

1. disconnect grey wire and cut throttle stop

2. Uncork airbox and muffler

3. YZ exhaust timing modification

4. get your Carb jetted correctly

5. Get some of the more useful and popular add-ons - like proper handlebars, mag drain plug, perhaps a steering dampener...

Good luck...

David

• yamaha.dude

Posted May 25, 2002 - 03:32 PM

Welcome to TT, and the world of Blue...

The free mods you have seen mentioned have all been discussed at great lenght on this board in the past, and if you use the search feature, you will get hours and hours of reading...

To summarise:

The grey wire mod will allow your ignition module to run a different ignition map, and this results in more power.

The blue wire mod is one that some say helps with starting their bike... both the blue and grey wires will be found under your petrol tank...

Uncorked is often used as a generic term to free up the breathing on the bike - basically it involves the removal of the airbox lid, and the restrictor i the muffler...

The zip-ty drain plug is a popular accessory i that it is a strong magnet built into the oil drain plug and helps to cath small bits of metal that may be floating around in your oil. www.ziptyracing.com has all the details...

Basically, if you have a stock, US model Wr, then the best mods, done one at a time, are:

1. disconnect grey wire and cut throttle stop

2. Uncork airbox and muffler

3. YZ exhaust timing modification

4. get your Carb jetted correctly

5. Get some of the more useful and popular add-ons - like proper handlebars, mag drain plug, perhaps a steering dampener...

Good luck...

David

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.