yz muffler vs. aftermarket mufflers on wr??

8 replies to this topic
  • michaeltrundle

Posted May 25, 2002 - 12:59 AM

Hey guys
I am in the process of shopping for a muffler for my australian 2000 wr 400. I can get hold of a yz 400 muffler for half the price of any of the good reputable aftermarket mufflers available in australia.
Has anyone tried a yz muffler on a wr, and are there any mods to make it line up to mounting points etc.?
How well do the yz mufflers perform compared to the staintunes/barrett/w.bros etc. etc. ?
Any words of wisdom or advice is much appreciated. I would rather pay half price if the performance is all a much of a muchness.
thanks dudes!

• Hick

Posted May 25, 2002 - 09:00 PM

On a US WR the exhaust will bolt right up, but you do need the rubber damper/bushing/insert parts that come in the YZ silencer where it mounts to the back of the sub frame. I’ve never seen an Aussie WR so I don’t know how your stock muffler attaches...

Ditto on the stain tune, barrett, never seen that stuff.

But in comparison to pipes I’ve tried/ridden, like WB R4, Yosh, PC T4, the stock YZ has a slightly softer bottom to mid punch, but a much more generous mid, up, and overrev.

In fact I’m back to the stock pipe now on my YZ, I decided I didn’t want to give up that great rev-out that all the aftermarket pipes I’ve tried trade for low end grunt.

I have ridden a ’01 WR 426 with a ’01 YZ silencer/collector, and the effects were the same (the only real difference being the cam timing). A good revving pipe that isn’t overly loud.

In short the stock YZ silencer works very well, the aftermarket stuff is different but I don’t think anybody will say it is unequivocally better.

• michaeltrundle

Posted May 25, 2002 - 12:11 PM

thanks hick,
much appreciated info.
I dont think I can justify the $500+(aus) for any of the good aftermarket pipes, versus $250, for a yz pipe considering the minimal difference in performance.
Everyone I have spoken to about the yz pipe says the same sort of thing about them, they're light, not too loud and work pretty well.
While I,ve got your attention, could you tell me if the yz muffler needs regular repacking or is it a reasonably low maintenance unit?
Do they fall to bits or are they pretty strong?
Any more advice you can offer me will be much appreciated.
thanks

• skippy

Posted May 25, 2002 - 12:49 PM

I cut the end off the original muffler & made a new end cap similar to the B&B ones put on XR's.
Mine now has a 40mm ,1 1/2 inch outlet hole instead of the oringal 22mm hole.
I've compared it to CDR, staintune, & wb mufflers in performance & I recon there even & noise is about the same aswell.
It is a simple mod that costs less than $20 if you can't weld & if you can weld it's free.
My tests were 4th gear acceration drags & also swapping bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spy

Posted May 25, 2002 - 02:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skippy:
[QB]I cut the end off the original muffler & made a new end cap similar to the B&B ones put on XR's.
Mine now has a 40mm ,1 1/2 inch outlet hole instead of the oringal 22mm hole.

hi,
could u pls tell mehow to make that end cap & how the b&B ones look like?
thanks. :)

• Hick

Posted May 25, 2002 - 05:29 PM

Originally posted by michaeltrundle:
While I,ve got your attention, could you tell me if the yz muffler needs regular repacking or is it a reasonably low maintenance unit?
Do they fall to bits or are they pretty strong?
Any more advice you can offer me will be much appreciated.
thanks

In my experience the stock packing lasts longer than that of the typical factory two stroke silencer. I am thinking about repacking the silencer in my ’01 after about 50 hours, but it doesn’t especially need it I don’t think, just beginning to sound a tad raspy at full tilt...

As for durability I think the stocker is bound to be stronger, fit better, be less leak prone, kinder on the surrounding plastic etc. than most, if not all, aftermarket systems. It only has one joint (no springs to lose), and the rear mount is welded on (no rocking or slipping is possible).

Since I’ve yet to break one I’d say they are pretty strong.

I want to reiterate that I don’t know anything about the exhaust that came on your bike, and suspect that it isn’t identical to the US WR version which I am familiar with. But I still suspect the YZ unit will be lighter and give you better all around performance than what came on your bike, and certainly rivals, if not surpasses, most of the aftermarket stuff you could find in performance and durability.

Hope this helps.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted May 26, 2002 - 01:29 AM

yz muffler is good but deafening, i have a tk sports muffler made by assie mufflers cost about $350, all alloy, looks good, heaps of mid range with similar jetting.

• skippy

Posted May 27, 2002 - 01:03 AM

Spy,
Basicly all you have to do is to some how cut around the origanal hole in the end of your pipe to leave a hole big enough for a new piece of exhaust pipe, 40mm inside diamentions or 43mm out side diamentions of pipe. A lot of holes drilled side by side in a round circle will do. Get some 40mm inside diamention exhaust pipe 60mm long & have 40mm inside the muffler & 20mm outside the muffler.
Don't put the new piece in square to the end, it looks better pointing down slightly.
Now weld it in. If you can't weld take it to a car muffler place & get them to do it for you. It won't cost much.
Mid range will increase & it revs to the rev limiter very easyly but you will have to change your jetting.
Thats a hole other subject.
Mine is 165mj 200maj 38pj 65paj emm #5-#4.
Easy.

• CHUCKY

Posted May 27, 2002 - 01:28 AM

Skippy,
Is it the stock WR426 stainless pipe you modified ?. My stock pipe on the WR426 2001 has a 1" tube that runs a fair way into the exhaust where you have mentioned a 40mm distance. Does this long 1" inch tube come out or are you talking about another pipe.
How does it sound ?. Some people punch a hole in the baffle plate at the end of the 1" tube and it sounds like crap.

Chucky
P.S. Where do you live in NSW, I live on the Central Coast near Gosford.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.