Screaching or slipping starter motor

6 replies to this topic
  • patoke

Posted June 25, 2008 - 05:35 PM

I have a 2003 WR 450 and I have never had a problem with e-start. It has always worked like a charm. I let the bike sit for about a month without starting it and today when I hit the button it sounds like the motor was screaching or slipping (not catching the gear). It couldn't start on the button but it started on one kick.

I know nothing about how the starter works so I am hoping someone can help me determine if it is a bad starter motor or maybe a starter clutch, something else?

I hate to take it to a dealer and get screwed out of $500.

• JeffMon

Posted June 26, 2008 - 09:11 AM

I think it is a 2003 problem - My starter is doing the same thing. My buddy has a 2003 WR450 also and his happened last year. He didn't fix it. He just kick starts it. I want to fix mine. I'll let you know what I find out.
Hopefully someone will give you a better answer.

• brad the best

Posted June 26, 2008 - 01:50 PM

charge battery . try again .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • c9buff

Posted June 26, 2008 - 07:04 PM

I have the same problem with my 05. For some reason I am not getting full gear meshing between the starter shaft and torque limiter. And after laying the bike down a few times it gets worse. Seems like it is moving although I don't know how.

It could only be the stater or the case that would move but I don't know how it does it.

• JeffMon

Posted June 26, 2008 - 07:39 PM

I did a liitle research. When I take the cover off covering the starter gearing and remove the gears. The starter still screaches. So it is in the starter motor. I am taking it apart this weekend to see what gives. I'll report back.

I followed a thread that also points to the starter motor.

http://www.thumperta... starter listen

• JeffMon

Posted June 28, 2008 - 07:53 AM

Ok Patoke - Here is the deal. I took the starter apart, the screech is from a worn out bushing. We tried to find a replacement bushing but everybody was closed. So we made one out a brass fitting and it works fine. No screeching. I am going to try to find the proper bushing and replace the home made one.
It isn't that hard to get the starter out. Remove the pipe and take the starter out from that side.
I'll let you know where I find the proper bushing. By the way what state are you in?

• patoke

Posted July 08, 2008 - 11:52 AM

I am in Northern California. Did you ever find the proper bushing?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.