please read. I need everyones opinion.

15 replies to this topic
  • bubbaisthebest

Posted June 25, 2008 - 05:07 PM

i need everones opinion about a 1999 yzf 400. how does its power compare to todays 450's? whats a good trail setup from stock? what are some of its flaws? thanks, bubbaisthebest:ride:

• krackhead

Posted June 25, 2008 - 05:18 PM

It does not compare to todays 450's at all. Even the 03 thru 05 450's dont compare to the 06-08. yz400 is a heavy tank, if you are riding MX and can afford a newer bike I wouldnt even consider it. If its in your budget, its got power, can be fun to ride, and if you ride your 400 then ride a buddys 06-08 yz450 you will feel like you are on a BMX bike. They are reliable as heck, they are not bad bikes by any stretch, there is just no comparison, MX techology changes so much every 3 years it is considered very dated by todays technology. Another thing to consider, and this may not be the case for you area, but for it is for others, you will probably pay 1500 for a 99 yz400 and i see 06 yz450's all the time for 3200 to 3800.

• The Intruder

Posted June 25, 2008 - 05:26 PM

the old 400 will not compare to the 450s because they just keep making the 450 more powerful since 2 stroke racing is out of the picture
thats why most modern 4 stroke mx bikes need so much maintenance hopefully this will change

• krackhead

Posted June 25, 2008 - 06:13 PM

what maintinence are you talking about? Besides changing oil and cleaning filters my yz never needs anything aside from the usual spoke tightening now and then. My kids two strokes require new top ends every year, the same cleaning and oil change routine, have to repack the exhaust on two strokes more often. And for power, you are wrong again. The 2003-2005 models were rockets, the 04 being the worst, you couldnt hold onto them. The 06 was pretty darn powerful as well, the 07 they tamed it down way too much, the 08 with an aftermarket pipe is perfect!

• DeeCee

Posted June 25, 2008 - 10:14 PM

I ride a 98 400f in a hot desert environment (Middle East) and for my purpose the bike is fine. Normally the ride is for 3-4 hrs over variable terrain (soft sand, firm sand, hard packed areas and some rock) and the bike handles these just fine.

The fact is that few weekend warriors fully utilise the power of a 400 or a 450 meaning power is not the real issue. The 400 is just as good as a 450 at lugging along at low revs and has good torque characteristics. Ideal for trail riding.

I have found the 400 do be very reliable. Provided you carry out regular routine maintenance (oil & coolant check/changes, oil flter cleaning, and chain cleaning/adjustment) - all of which can be done in the space of an hour or so, the bike will not let you down.

I have contemplated a newer machine but because I have few faults with the 400 I have always decided to keep the cash in my pocket.

• torqueme

Posted June 26, 2008 - 12:04 AM

If you are going to be racing MX find a newer 450,not just for the power but for the suspension upgrades. If you are going to be weekend trail riding the 400 is a trusty beast with a few minor mods. Lower the gearing,add a rekluse or flywheel weight,suspension valving,bark busters, & go have fun. Price is a definate bonus on the 400's as long as it has been maintained well, they are pretty tuff. Keep us posted...

• SRT426

Posted June 26, 2008 - 12:36 AM

I ride a 98 400f in a hot desert environment (Middle East) and for my purpose the bike is fine. Normally the ride is for 3-4 hrs over variable terrain (soft sand, firm sand, hard packed areas and some rock) and the bike handles these just fine.

The fact is that few weekend warriors fully utilise the power of a 400 or a 450 meaning power is not the real issue. The 400 is just as good as a 450 at lugging along at low revs and has good torque characteristics. Ideal for trail riding.

I have found the 400 do be very reliable. Provided you carry out regular routine maintenance (oil & coolant check/changes, oil flter cleaning, and chain cleaning/adjustment) - all of which can be done in the space of an hour or so, the bike will not let you down.

I have contemplated a newer machine but because I have few faults with the 400 I have always decided to keep the cash in my pocket.

That about sums up my opinion also. You also asked about trail setup, here is a list of what I did to my YZ426 for tight singletrack and some doublewide trails:

A)13/50 or 14/51 gearing - I use the 13/50 if there are hills out of tight turns.
B)Handguards to protect my paws and me levers in case i dump it in the rocks.
C)Maxxis IT tires with HD tubes - very durable for trail riding.
D)Resprung suspension to my weight.
E)Addes some water wetter to coolant to aid in boilover in the tight stuff.

Been trail riding my 2001 YZ426 for 3 years now, all I do is change the oil/filter, clean the airfilter and check coolant levels. Bike has been bulletproof.

• The Intruder

Posted June 26, 2008 - 12:45 AM

what maintinence are you talking about? Besides changing oil and cleaning filters my yz never needs anything aside from the usual spoke tightening now and then. My kids two strokes require new top ends every year, the same cleaning and oil change routine, have to repack the exhaust on two strokes more often.

4 strokes require more maintenance due to having more moving parts and that they are pulling so high revs.
2 strokes may need a top end more but they are a hell of a lot cheaper then rebuilding a 4 strokes
i know people who have gone 70 hours on the top end of a two stroke
just read
http://www.thumperta...hlight=top ends

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • krackhead

Posted June 26, 2008 - 04:00 AM

you are babbling suzuki guy. I have three two strokes in my garage ALL of them needed full rebuids after two years, my four strokes have never needed any major work, simple oil changes, filter cleaning, check the valves off I go. IF the four stroke happens to grenade on you, yes its more expensive. But you are in a yamaha forum trolling on behalf of two strokes when the guy is clearly asking the difference of 400's and 450's

• bubbaisthebest

Posted June 26, 2008 - 05:45 AM

thanks for everyones opinions. im about 5' 9 and 165 lbs and currently riding an 01 ttr 250. my dad got offered to trade my ttr250 for a 1999 400, and hes worried that i wont be able to handle it. ther about the same weight. and as far as the too much power, i hop my bros 02 crf 450 every now and then, and all you have to do is respect the throttle. we put 12 ounces of weight on the flywheel (i think stealthy) on my brothers 450, and its makes a hell of a difference through the woods.

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2008 - 05:47 AM

i know people who have gone 70 hours on the top end of a two stroke

And now you know someone who has gone 70 hours on one YZ450, 160 on another, and around 350 on another, all without so much as a valve adjustment being necessary. Just tires, oil, and filters.

The expense of rebuilding one is a legitimate concern when buying something as old as an '02 or earlier model though, as it will need it eventually.

• bubbaisthebest

Posted June 26, 2008 - 05:50 AM

o and i for got to ask, should i trade for this, or sell my bike and get an 01 yzf 250? my bike can sell for about 2000, and i know where i can get a yz 250 all stock for 2000. thanks

• krackhead

Posted June 26, 2008 - 05:58 AM

o and i for got to ask, should i trade for this, or sell my bike and get an 01 yzf 250? my bike can sell for about 2000, and i know where i can get a yz 250 all stock for 2000. thanks

If you can swing it I would. Especially a newer 250f, I ride my friends 2006 yz250f all the time (he keeps it in my garage so we abuse it when he is not around) and its peppy as heck, corners superbly, I am heavier so I could never ride it all the time, it just doesnt have the balls or raw power my 450 does. I too went from the TTR 250, but I bought a used 2001 yz426, it was a great progression for me anyway, to go from the TTR to the 426, and then to my 08 450. At your size a 250f will be fun and way more exciting then the TTR. The suspension on the 250f will be better then the yz400 as well.

• rooster wrooster

Posted June 26, 2008 - 07:31 AM

I rode my brothers 400 before I got my 06'450. I was very impressed. The thrill factor was off the scale. I remember riding it through a muddy cornfield holding on for dear life, barely able to keep the front wheel down but having a grin from ear to ear. I was going to buy that exact bike but after finding this website I decided to get a newer bike. After I got it we did some straight line drag racing for about 1/4 mile and although I beat him every time the 400 still put up a good showing. I only beat him by 5-10 bike lengths. Now on a track it is a different story. Its more about the riders skill level. At the time he was a little better than me and was beating me on my 450. (lets keep that part to ourselves)

• bubbaisthebest

Posted June 27, 2008 - 11:08 AM

thanks for all the replies

• mjw1

Posted June 27, 2008 - 02:26 PM

If you riding trails the 400 is better and if you going to ride track the 450 is the better bike but the 450 doesnt like trail riding they load up alot more and stall a lot easier than the 400.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.