2008 yz450f over heating

16 replies to this topic
  • adam ford

Posted June 25, 2008 - 12:52 PM

i race motocross and i i made a half a lap and the bike started to smoke and make a whisle noise when i got it back to the pit there was no more water left in the radiator. what make this happen (it was really muddy)

• teddy81

Posted June 25, 2008 - 12:55 PM

mud can cause the bike to overheat bad, was the mud blocking the radiator so no air could get in that could be a cuase. or you could have a bad cap.

• adam ford

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:09 PM

there was no mud on the radiator at all plus i do have radiator gards on it (devols) but this is the first time this happened to it and i rode it in 96 degree weather while practicing. When this happened i refilled it and there is no leak at all

• teddy81

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:10 PM

have you run it since? could be a bad cap.

• adam ford

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:11 PM

no i have not ran it since it happened last sunday and i yet to look at it

• teddy81

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:13 PM

how does your oil look? is it milky?

• adam ford

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:14 PM

im not to shure yet but if it is what does that mean also do i nee to adjust the valves

• teddy81

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:16 PM

it usually means the water seals are leaking causing water to get in the oil and that could be were it went, how many hours on the bike? i do my valves like every 15 hours that is probably too soon but that is what i like to do for peace of mind and its a pretty easy job.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam ford

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:19 PM

the bike has only like 10 hours on it but i will check the oil in it were in pa r u im from pa

• teddy81

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:21 PM

in the lancaster reading area, how about you, with only 10 hours on the bike there shouldnt be any kind of mechanical issue but you never know. i would start with the oil and then check the rad cap.

• adam ford

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:24 PM

from the honesdale area by hurricane hills but ya i will check that out. So i guess i will be riding my 06 kx250 for a bit lol

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:27 PM

pa r u im from pa

English please.:p

Do you have ten hours on your bike, and haven't changed the oil? Is that what I'm seeing here? :thumbsup:

Break in oil should never be run more than two hours, and the oil should changed every 3 ride days.

But to your question. It is possible that you may have started that ride with a low coolant level because you let the bike idle too long at some previous time and never checked the level. It could also be that you have a head gasket torque issue, or an internal coolant leak.

• teddy81

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:27 PM

hurricane hills is a great track, i love that place problem is itsabout 3 hours wish is was closer. I will be up there sometime this year. you know if you only have 10 hours and havent had it that long check with the dealer they may do something for you.

• adam ford

Posted June 25, 2008 - 01:32 PM

no i canged it 2 times and the coolent was fine my sponsor works on my bike and everything was ok to ride

• KTM RULES

Posted June 26, 2008 - 04:37 AM

English please.:p

Do you have ten hours on your bike, and haven't changed the oil? Is that what I'm seeing here? :thumbsup:

Break in oil should never be run more than two hours, and the oil should changed every 3 ride days.

But to your question. It is possible that you may have started that ride with a low coolant level because you let the bike idle too long at some previous time and never checked the level. It could also be that you have a head gasket torque issue, or an internal coolant leak.

yes thats one thing i dont like bout these new bikes, my 08 450 will start spewing coolant out the overflow if i let it idle standing still for say about 2-3 minutes. i could let my old 01 model 250F idle all day and no problems...

• Ga426owner

Posted June 26, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Grey...unfortunately we live in a Text Messaging Shortcut world........soon to be considered New English....I pray not:foul:

Adam at only 10hrs either:
your cap is no good
or
there was not enough coolant in the radiator.

You can not let these bike idle more than a few minutes before the overflow will empty fluids out especially in 96 degree heat
There are options for better coolant fluids - search this
as well as higher temp caps

to be safe check the color of oil
and see if any fluid is weeping out of the weep hole at the water pump
and no you do not need to check the valves quite yet

• adam ford

Posted June 26, 2008 - 09:01 AM

ok thanks

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.