02 KX125 Fluids?

6 replies to this topic
  • Dan K

Posted June 25, 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hi,

I've got an 02 KX125 that I purchased used recently. I'm curious what everyone is using and liking for fluids.

Coolant, 50/50 coolant/water mix? Any specific type to use or avoid?

Gearbox/Trans oil? I don't have an owners manual and therefore I'm not sure the suggested weight, so I'd be intersted to hear both the weight and brands everyone is using. Type F ATF?

Premix oil? I've been mixing Spectro, Yamalube or whatever the local shops have and suggest and have not noticed a huge difference between any. I know one guy who swears Spectro for the KX125s, and another guy at a shop who likes yamalube.

The suspension has been done over, so it's good for now. When the time comes I guess I'll have to choose a fork oil.

Thanks!

Dan

• Jeekinz

Posted June 25, 2008 - 10:50 AM

There's like 49 thousand threads on this.

For the antifreeze I use whatever is in the motorcycle shop that is suitable for aluminum constructed engines.

Premix is H1R and has been since my shop ran out of Maxima back in 97/98.

Tranny oil is regular ATF from Napa. I change it after 3-4 rides or 1 race. A case almost costs as much as a liter of Gear Saver.

What ever you chose, stick with it. Don't be switching oils like your underwear.

• hodgkins

Posted June 25, 2008 - 11:10 AM

the Maxima 50/50 premixed coolant is good stuff.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan K

Posted June 25, 2008 - 11:25 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did do some searching prior to asking, but it seems there are conflicting answers to many of the questions. Especially on the gearbox oil, I guess I should have asked for arguments on why people use what they use. I hear the ATF is a good cleaning agent, but makes the clutch grabby. Grabby clutches don't really appeal to me, but a case of ATF for what a bottle of 80W gear oil costs does, and I like the idea of the detergents in the ATF. I have ATF, Shell Rotella motor oil and Quaker State high performance SAE 80W gear oil, and just can't decide which to use. ATF seems to be the most recomended in my searches, closely seconded by the ATF. I'm just concerned with the grabby clutch aspect of the ATF.

I'm glad you mentioned motorcycle-specific coolants, this I did not know. I knew to avoid coolants without silicate, but didn't realize that it was a motorcycle specific thing. My last bike (96 CR125) was sold in 99, and I don't even remember what I ran for coolant in that. I know my primary riding buddy uses whatever car coolant he has lying around, which is apparently ill-advised. The only opposition to this I've found is this thread http://www.thumperta...ight=antifreeze which seems to say that Dirt Rider found coolant is coolant and that's that.

I do recall I had good luck with Spectro pre-mix, and would probably have continued to use that religiously in this bike if not for the local Kawi shop telling me that the KX125s don't like Spectro. I didn't notice any issues using it. Why is important to stick with just one type of premix oil? Is it equally important to stick with 1 type of gearbox oil, or is it ok to try a couple different things (ATF, 80W gear oil) to see how my bike feels with each?

Anywhere online to download a copy of the service manual for this bike, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and buy one if I really need one?

Thanks again.

• Jeekinz

Posted June 25, 2008 - 11:32 AM

I guess that's why I stopped getting magazine subscriptions.

Coolant is not coolant. The wrong coolant can cause cavitation in certain engines or corrode waterjackets/clog radiators.

I think Yamaha makes antifreeze too. Albeit, Yamaha repackages it, but it is recommended for motorcycles.

You'll find all sorts of opinions on lubrication. People like what they like.

• stevelknievel

Posted July 06, 2008 - 07:01 PM

There's like 49 thousand threads on this.

For the antifreeze I use whatever is in the motorcycle shop that is suitable for aluminum constructed engines.

Premix is H1R and has been since my shop ran out of Maxima back in 97/98.

Tranny oil is regular ATF from Napa. I change it after 3-4 rides or 1 race. A case almost costs as much as a liter of Gear Saver.

What ever you chose, stick with it. Don't be switching oils like your underwear.

you can run regular automotive ATF?

• hodgkins

Posted July 06, 2008 - 07:13 PM

yes, a lot of guys on here use it on their Kawi 2 smokes.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2001 KX125 carb problems by Taylor227

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Precision Concepts 2003 KX 270 by smv ryder

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Need 250 crank for 00! by raber510

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Bad Ass Kx125 Build by Bh297

• Hot  68 replies
Forums
Photo

03-04 KX250 pipe fits 99-02. 03-07 KX250 Silencer fits 99-02. Pics inside. by shrubitup

• 4 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.