Stock 07 450 db level

6 replies to this topic
  • FreshDonutsCAN

Posted June 25, 2008 - 05:52 AM

Does anyone know the exact sound level for a completely stock 07 yz450. I ask as i am probably gonna get a PMB endo for my bike as i need to make it legal for harescrambles (needs spark arrestor). Should i purchase the silent insert or is it not neccesary at all. 96db is limit. Thanks

• NorCal

Posted June 25, 2008 - 10:12 AM

Does anyone know the exact sound level for a completely stock 07 yz450. I ask as i am probably gonna get a PMB endo for my bike as i need to make it legal for harescrambles (needs spark arrestor). Should i purchase the silent insert or is it not neccesary at all. 96db is limit. Thanks

Sound testing is different everywhere you go. I have an 06 YZ450F with a
complete 07 exhaust and the rangers out in California tested it at 99 dB (with
PMB endcap w/ Sparky). I bought a silent insert in case of a sound test at a
race. Well, last race they were doing sound tests so I threw the insert in and
it passed "just barely" according to the rangers. The limit was 96 dB, but they
were letting guys slide within 1 dB. My packing is pretty old, and I'm almost
positive I didn't pack it right, so that could contribute to why it was so loud.

IMO, the silent insert really cuts the power down and makes it feel more like a
250f. The money invested in the end cap, sparky, and silent insert makes me
wish I would have just gotten a full aftermarket exhaust that is designed to
test at 96 dB.

• FreshDonutsCAN

Posted June 25, 2008 - 12:59 PM

IMO, the silent insert really cuts the power down and makes it feel more like a
250f. The money invested in the end cap, sparky, and silent insert makes me
wish I would have just gotten a full aftermarket exhaust that is designed to
test at 96 dB.

thats why im worried about spending almost $200 on something that may cost performance

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FreshDonutsCAN

Posted June 25, 2008 - 02:24 PM

what about the Ultra Silent insert is it really any different from the silent insert on the PMB endos. Does it really hurt the power with the insert any opinions would be nice to hear!! Thanks :thumbsup:

• Diesel_Junkie

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I have a full 08 yz exhaust on an 08 WR.... the Pipe is much more powerful than the WR stuff in any configuration(uncorked WR).
I got the PMB tip, spark arrestor, and ultimately both the quiet tips.

The Ultra quiet insert tested at 97.5 db at Hollister hills.
The quiet insert tested at 98 db with the same test equipment(but different days)

Hollister keeps the microphone at about 45 degrees from the pipe and at 18" away.

They claimed it was too loud both times, but let me pass for 96 db both times too.

i might have bad packing, I bought it used, and didnt inspect it before putting it on.

The funny thing is that Hollister tested it as too loud, but at another enduro race the testers listened and decided it was too quiet to test and just gave me the sticker. i think there is a lot of variability in testing schemes, and they are all flawed some how... i would sware this thing is not really that loud of a setup.

• KAS

Posted April 22, 2009 - 07:49 PM

I have a stock '07 muffler on my '08. It is usually right around 98, 99dB.

• thumpyz

Posted April 23, 2009 - 04:47 AM

i had a pmb endo on my 04 yz, and that thing shears rivets everytime i ride, with or without the spark arrester. maybe my packing is bad. me and a buddy put that same exhaust with the endo on his 426, and he shears rivets too. so my opinion is that your money is better spent somewhere else.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.