'99 Yz400 Buying Guidance Needed

13 replies to this topic
  • P51Mustang

Posted June 24, 2008 - 06:31 PM

I'm considering buying a '99 YZ400. I've seen the bike and it's very clean, no leakage or other obvious problems. Are there any peculiarities with this make/model of bike that I should know about and investigate before I make the "Buy" decision?

Thanks.

• 642MX

Posted June 24, 2008 - 06:35 PM

The 400's where good bikes. If its clean and well cared for, then go for it. :thumbsup:

• psmith85

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:45 PM

I agree that if the bike is clean and has been well cared for, then buy it. Before you make the deal, ask the owner to pull off the oil filter because you want to see if there is metal in it. If he does not know how to pull the filter, I would consider that to be a sign that maybe the bike was not that well maintained.

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:49 PM

Price makes a difference, of course. If he wants more than about $1600, you may want to consider a newer model, like a 426 or older 450.

• PatrickM

Posted June 24, 2008 - 09:51 PM

If its in good condition... buy it!!!!!!

I would just check the oil filter (as stated in earlier posts), check the radiator fluid (the bike can sometimes over heat with old fluid) and check the clutch (when you ride it... make sure its not slipping or dragging).

Also..... Check the wheel bearings and the rear suspension linkage bearings are good because its a bitch to change.

After repairing all of that on my 1999 YZ400F.... The bike is totally awesome!!!!

The 400s have a bunch of Torque and its a blast to ride!!!!!

The best thing is that in a few years..... The bike will be Vintage and allowed to race with all the classic dirt bikes!!!!

Patrick M.

• rdefonce

Posted June 25, 2008 - 08:52 AM

If its in good condition... buy it!!!!!!

I would just check the oil filter (as stated in earlier posts), check the radiator fluid (the bike can sometimes over heat with old fluid) and check the clutch (when you ride it... make sure its not slipping or dragging).

Also..... Check the wheel bearings and the rear suspension linkage bearings are good because its a bitch to change.

After repairing all of that on my 1999 YZ400F.... The bike is totally awesome!!!!

The 400s have a bunch of Torque and its a blast to ride!!!!!

The best thing is that in a few years..... The bike will be Vintage and allowed to race with all the classic dirt bikes!!!!

Patrick M.

When will vintage status kick-in??? by vintage, you mean "non-current" class?

I have my YZ400F for sale but I'm thinking of keeping it (especially since I bought it brand new and it's got really low time on it, maybe 100 hours) since I won't get much for it anyhow.

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2008 - 09:01 AM

In many organizations, the 400 will never be vintage unless the rules change. Most of them don't allow bikes with disc brakes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted June 25, 2008 - 10:55 AM

In many organizations, the 400 will never be vintage unless the rules change. Most of them don't allow bikes with disc brakes.

In that case maybe it'll fit in the "non-current" class after a certain number of years . . . if there is such a class.

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2008 - 12:00 PM

Every outfit is different. Some go by year, others limit suspension travel or brake design, or say nothing with linkages, or some combination. :thumbsup:

• PatrickM

Posted June 25, 2008 - 07:34 PM

I know that most of the organizations in my area consider "Vintage" based on how old the bike is....

So...... my bike will be "Vintage" in a couple of years. :thumbsup: :p :cry:

Patrick M.

• rdefonce

Posted June 26, 2008 - 08:55 AM

I know that most of the organizations in my area consider "Vintage" based on how old the bike is....

So...... my bike will be "Vintage" in a couple of years. :thumbsup: :p :cry:

Patrick M.

I'm hoping for that here in my neck of the woods!

• grayracer513

Posted June 26, 2008 - 09:16 AM

What makes you think the guys with the '73 CZ's are going to put up with you riding a YZ400 in their class? :thumbsup:

• rdefonce

Posted June 26, 2008 - 12:50 PM

What makes you think the guys with the '73 CZ's are going to put up with you riding a YZ400 in their class? :thumbsup:

Ha ha, one of my riding buddies has a '73 380 . . . he probably won't put up with it!

• mjw1

Posted June 26, 2008 - 03:58 PM

I bought my yz400f in 1998 brand new and the bike has been an awesome bike and i have been wanting a new one but as long as it runs good and is just as fast or faster than the new 450s i havent twisted my arm to buy a new bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.