VERIFY YOUR SERVICE WORK!!!!

12 replies to this topic
  • KAISTIE

Posted May 24, 2002 - 07:24 AM

I RECENTLY HAD MY BIKE IN FOR IT'S FIRST SERVICE AT FUN BIKE CENTER HERE IN SAN DIEGO. TYPICAL FIRST SERVICE REQUIRES VALVE CLEARANCE INSPECTION....WELL I WAS CHARGED FOR IT BUT NEVER RECEIVED IT. :D I NOTICED WHEN I GOT MY BIKE BACK THAT THE DUST AND DIRT FROM THE RIDE PRIOR TO THE SERVICE WAS STILL ON THE ENGINE, MORE SPACIFICALLY THE CYLINDER HEAD AND RELATED COMPONENTS. I ALSO NOTICED THAT NONE OF THE NUT AND BOLTS HAD BEEN BRUISED. I DECIDED TO CALL AND VOICE MY CONCERNS THAT I MAY HAVE BEEN CHARGED FOR WORK THAT WAS NEVER DONE. THE SERVICE MANAGER WAS VERY UNDERSTANDING AND FOLLOWED UP ABOUT 20 MIN. LATER. IT SEEMS THAT THE TECH DIDN'T REALIZE THAT HE NEED TO CHECK THE VALVE CLEARANCES ON THE FIRST SERVICE FOR THE 426. :D :) THE S.M. WAS VERY APOLOGETIC AND STATED THAT IT WAS AN HONEST MISTAKE. WELL WHY DID I GET CHARGED FOR IT????
I GUESS MY ADVICE IS TO DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECK OTHERS WORK. I GUESS THE OLD SAYING HOLDS THAT "IF IT'S NOT THEIRS, THEY DONT CARE"
THEY HAVE AGREED TO DO THE WORK FOR FREE BUT I DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE TAKING MY BIKE BAKE TO THEM. I AM SURE THERE ARE SOME HARD FEELINGS ABOUT BEING CAUGHT. I GUESS THESE ARE THE PITFALLS OF NOT HAVING A PLACE TO DO MY OWN SERVICE. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
KAI

• mxthunder1

Posted May 24, 2002 - 07:42 AM

I ALWAYS HAVE MOTOWORLD OE EL CAJON SERVICE MY WR400. ASK FOR DOC TO WORK ON IT, HE IS THE 4 STROKE EXPERT.

• Scott_in_San_Diego

Posted May 24, 2002 - 12:43 PM

Kaistie,
I use FBC only to purchase parts for my WR. I became friends with one of the reps in the parts department and he always sets me up with big discounts. However, I don't have any work done there. I use a small shop around the corner from FBC called "X-Zonesports", they are very good.

Where do you ride here in San Diego?
-Scott

• levy1

Posted May 24, 2002 - 02:37 PM

My bike is in the shop and guess what! You know that Wiseco 13.5-1 piston that is in my signature? Well, that is the only place it is in. It is defiantly not in my engine. I paid good money to be ripped off like that. The mechanic called me from the shop to tell me it has the stock Yamaha piston in it. I am taking some strong action and will post the shop and I will post an update.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted May 24, 2002 - 11:09 PM

Motorcycles are much easier than cars, it's so easy to learn how to do your own stuff, just take some advice from some of these guys and you know whats been done to your bike.

• MN_Kevin

Posted May 25, 2002 - 01:01 AM

The one that cares the MOST about your bike is YOU!!

As the rest of us has learned, doing the work yourself is most gratifying, and can save you literally hundreds of dollars. Over years this will become THOUSANDS of dollars!!

Follow the procedure as outlined in your manual, ask fellow TT'ers, do whatever it takes to learn to do all maintenance yourself.

You will try the hardest to not let yourself down. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAISTIE

Posted May 28, 2002 - 04:36 AM

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE GUYS. IGUESS MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS NOT HAVING A PLACE TO WORK ON MY BIKE. I LIVE IN AN APT. COMPLEX WITH NO PRIVATE GARAGE AND THE MANAGMENT SEEMS TO HAVE AN ISSUE WITH ME TURING MY PARKING SPACE INTO A WORK SHOP. I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL WE MOVE NEXT YEAR TO DO MY OWN SERVICE.
SCOTT IN SAN DIEGO; I JUST MOVED HERE FROM NORTH JERSEY IN FEB AND AM NOT YET FAMILIAR WITH S.D. THE CLOSEST PLACE TO ME THAT I KNOW I CAN RIDE IS CORRAL CANYON OHV AREA. I HAVE YET TO GO WITH MY BIKE BUT HAVE BEEN OUT THERE WITH MY PICKUP. I AM LOOKING FOR RIDING BUDDIES, SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED AND KNOW OF OTHER PLACES LET ME KNOW.
KAI :)

• KAISTIE

Posted May 28, 2002 - 04:43 AM

LEVY1,
I JUST REREAD YOUR POST AND THAT SUUUUUCKS :)
THE THING THAT SUCKS THE MOST IS BEING SUSPECT OF SERVICE WORK AND KNOWING THAT THE ONLY WAY TO CHECK IT IS TO REDO THE WORK. I FEEL YOUR PAIN MAN. KEEP US POSTED
KAI

• Scott_in_San_Diego

Posted May 28, 2002 - 12:47 PM

Kaistie,
Check your PM.
-Scott

• blue_beast_wins

Posted May 28, 2002 - 11:06 PM

My mate services his bike in the kitchen.

• S_Phillips

Posted May 29, 2002 - 04:04 AM

LEVY1 -

Keep us posted: would like to know who did that work for you.........

• MotoGreg

Posted May 29, 2002 - 04:39 AM

I do everything myself but when I wanted to buy a couple valve adjusting shims for the first time a couple years ago I couldn't find a dealer that stocked any. I called about 10 dealers and nobody had any. I asked them how they did valve adjustments during service work and nobody could give me an answer, obviously they aren't doing it. I finally found shims in stock at Malcolm Smith Motorcycles in Riverside.

• SFO

Posted May 29, 2002 - 05:18 AM

A caution along the same lines is inspect all of your machine work before assembly too.
Always spot out the bores, pistons, valve jobs, ring end gaps.
Leaving it up to somebody else is risky.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.