stripped bolt

6 replies to this topic
  • redrider650r

Posted December 06, 2002 - 08:53 AM

Hey People,

I believe I tighted the 10mm bolt on the right hand side plastic a little too much and I know that I stripped it out. Any suggestions on getting it out? My Dad and I tried using an air wrench and it didnt work. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Dutch

Posted December 06, 2002 - 02:42 PM

So is the bolt spinning and not backing out? Any more details would be helpfull.

• redrider650r

Posted December 07, 2002 - 05:08 AM

Yes, the bolt is spinning and not backing out.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Burnrider

Posted December 07, 2002 - 06:42 AM

If it is stripped in the fuel tank are you dealing with the brass anchor they cast in the plastic. If the insert is brass or plastic you can try small vice grips or needle vise grips on the hex head and use a set of cutters to gently sneak between the head and plastic so you don't pop the anchor out of the tank or plastic panel. You actually could be spinning the plastic anchor in the plastic. Getting it out might be easier than replacing the anchor. I doubt you will fire the torch or use the air tools with any result.
If you need plastic replacement parts, Midwest Cycles, Chapparal Cycles and your friendly dealer have OEM parts. Good luck

• redrider650r

Posted December 07, 2002 - 10:27 AM

Sorry guys, it is the right rear number plate.

• XR650RRRIDER

Posted December 09, 2002 - 01:36 AM

I'd recommend pulling outward on the plastic panel while using a socket to turn the bolt CCW. Hopefully this little bit of leverage will allow a thread to catch.

Good Luck!

Jim

• bluelightning

Posted December 10, 2002 - 08:14 PM

I would recomend bringing it over to your brothers house and he will fix it for you. Should have bought a WR.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.