QUESTION FOR YAMAKAZE

5 replies to this topic
  • BEN_66

Posted May 24, 2002 - 06:12 AM

HI, I AM A NOVICE AND THIS IS MY FIRST POST. YOU MADE A COMMENT ABOUT BEARING REPLACEMENT AND REPACK WHEN BUYING SECOND HAND. I HAVE A '99 FROM NEW, WHICH BEARINGS DO YOU MEAN. I'M NOT VERY MECHANICALY MINDED. ALL I DO IS A REGULAR OIL CHANGE. I DID MANAGE TO CHANGE TO YZ TIMING IN 2 HOURS. THANKS

• MN_Kevin

Posted May 24, 2002 - 06:15 AM

Steering stem bearings

AND

ALL

shock linkage and swingarm bearings.

Also, grease the heim (spherical bearing) joint on the upper mount on your shock.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted May 24, 2002 - 06:51 AM

What Kevin said (+) front and rear wheel bearings. Keeping these things lubed by removing the seals and hand packing grease is ok, but after a couple of years of riding the bearings will begin to pit and need to be replaced. About 2 to 3 years is max life on ALL your bearings. Keeping this in mind will ensure many years of Trouble Free Roosting.

There is absolutely nothing worse than getting ready for a big ride to find a bad bearing and your local shop (like Mine) doesn't keep them in stock or getting 40 miles out in the middle of nowhere and have one sieze up.

Bonzai :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BEN_66

Posted May 24, 2002 - 09:32 PM

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS, I'LL HAVE A GO AT THAT.

• Tony_Miller

Posted May 24, 2002 - 10:00 AM

I think bearing and seal life depend mainly on one thing; Do you pressure wash your bike? A pressure washer has never touched my '98 WR400, only a scrub brush and garden hose, and I have yet to have any bearing go in 3500 miles of Michigan trails (I've never reset my odo just so I could keep track). Well, except for my big end rod bearing, that is!!!!!!!!!! I don't know how much you guys are riding in a year, but contamination is what destroys bearings.

• BEN_66

Posted May 25, 2002 - 08:56 AM

THANKS TONY, I DO PRESSURE WASH BUT TRY TO AVOID THE SEALS.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.