Deciding between a 250F and a 450F

26 replies to this topic
  • YamahaDude450F

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:34 PM

I was actually in the same boat when i got rid of my heavily modded 02 yz125 for an 08 yz450f just a few weeks ago and i will never look back. I am 6'0 180 lbs. and also ride about about %80 trails %20 track. The 450 is set up perfectly from stock for me and is a very very well handling bike, even through the tight trails, and has very smooth usable power. It has only been about three weeks and i am already more comfortable on my 450 than i was on my 125 and i had that bike for 6 years.

• psmith85

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:41 PM

If you can ride the 125T well for your size, then stay with the 250F. I think you will find the Yamaha a better woods bike as the forks are better than the Honda forks.

• leanin

Posted June 25, 2008 - 10:03 AM

I have a 250f and 450f. The tighter, more technical the woods, the better I like the 250f over the 450f. If your trails are fast and open the 450 would probably be fine. But, the tight woods around here have turns every 50ft and the 250 is MUCH easier to ride fast. I prefer the 450 for MX because of how easily it'll clear doubles immediately after a corner. But, if I could only have 1, it'd be the 250.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stroker06

Posted June 25, 2008 - 08:27 PM

I had an 06 WR250 and now own an 07 YZ450F. The YZ is much better for trails in my opinion because of the extra power. It helps my lack of skill as a rider. Going from the WR to the YZ actually saved me some weight (steel frame vs. aluminum). The 250F's need to revved just like the 125's to stay in the power band and for me when the trail gets too technical it made it difficult to ride fast with the motor revved so much. Now I can slow for the tight stuff in a gear high and just twist the throttle upon exit. Much easier now. I am a very early stage beginner when it comes to ability, I mostly just ride for fun, no serious competitions for me, and when it comes to the extra weight of the motorcross version bikes the 450 still feels light to me. I hope this helps in your decision.

• ljparton

Posted June 26, 2008 - 09:13 AM

i catually decided to go with a 2001 WR426.

I couldnt pass it up, it's a nice deal and it looks clean, im going to check it out this week.

Thanks for all you input guys, i'll let you know how it goes.

-Logan

• adamdf

Posted June 26, 2008 - 03:24 PM

i catually decided to go with a 2001 WR426.

I couldnt pass it up, it's a nice deal and it looks clean, im going to check it out this week.

Thanks for all you input guys, i'll let you know how it goes.

-Logan

That bike is going to be a real monster compared to your last bike, but if you are riding more open trails, you will like it. Enjjoy

• nzm031

Posted June 26, 2008 - 07:25 PM

im in a similar situation... after years on a kx250... i now have a wr400... they are worlds apart... the wr is able to fly along a speeds... or putt along a tight trail... its a sensible bike... does what its meant to do and gets on with it without much fuss... the kx is extremely difficult to ride after the wr... it doesnt want to stop... goes way too fast in a short distance, and is freakin dangerous.... that said... it puts a massive smile on my face and i cant bear to part with it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.