Deciding between a 250F and a 450F

26 replies to this topic
  • ljparton

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:32 PM

Hi guys, i currenty ride a lightly modded 2000 YZ125 and am looking for something with more power. I am 6'0, 215lbs and i ride 80% woods and 20 % track.

I am stuck between getting a 250F or a 450F...I love my 2T but these tech trails are killing me, im either on the pipe going up the trail like a wild man or putting and trying to keep the motor running.

I have ridden big thumpers before, XR650, XT600 etc...I know how to ride. I just like the 125 because it was light and it was all i could afford at the time.

Should i get a 250F or a 450F? I also want to start racing some hare scrambles/enduros this fall.

any input would be appreciated.

-ljparton [155x]

• lilyamaharacer9

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:34 PM

since youre doing mostly woods i would deffinantely say the 250f sine a 450 seems (atleast to me) like to much power for when in the woods and you can always get more power out of it also

• CRF250X Rider

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:37 PM

250 2t :thumbsup:

• krackhead

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:46 PM

for your size I would highly recomend the 450, I am 5'10 200pounds and the 250 just doesnt have any balls, they are all about corner speed. I ride my friends 2006 yz250f and it is peppy, but it just doesnt have that hill climbing power the 450 does. If you can, try to ride both and spend some time on it, I am positive for your size if you buy a 250 you will regreat it and want the 450 after a month

• Big Black

Posted June 23, 2008 - 06:18 PM

^^^I agree, get a 450, if you don't you'll want one soon enough

• ljparton

Posted June 23, 2008 - 06:21 PM

yeah, i am going to look at a couple 450's.

I love Yami to death, but how are the CRFR's?

• Big Black

Posted June 23, 2008 - 06:28 PM

never heard of them

• krackhead

Posted June 23, 2008 - 07:08 PM

if you want to check your valves all the time and after 80 hours replace them, not adjust them, replace them, by all means by the honda. A lot of my friends have the hondas and they are a good bike, good power, good turning, but they are just as reliable as the yami

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2008 - 07:50 PM

250 2t :thumbsup:

That's not on the ballot.

• swaldrop

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:17 PM

You mentioned that you liked your 125 because of the weight. If that's the case, then you will be pretty surprized at the weight of the 450. I am actually in the same situation, trying to decide what I want to do. I have had quite a few 250Fs and currently have a 450, but I am trying to decide if I want to go back to the smaller bike.

The 450 is an awesome bike, no doubt about it. But it is heavier. Add in the extra torque and HP and it feels heavier still. Not that you won't get used to it, but for me, it is something I have had trouble with.

Unfortunately, I don't think that I will ever be 100% satisfied with one bike. If I do end up going back to the 250F, I am sure I will miss that extra power at times, just as I now miss the benefits of the 250F. I weigh about 175 w/o gear and I don't ride the woods too much, so take it for what it's worth. Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:29 PM

One undeniable, irreplaceable, characteristic of the big bike for which there is absolutely no substitute, IMO:

If you can hear it, it's in the power band. :thumbsup:

• kain522

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:17 PM

Well, even though it's "not on the ballot", it sounds as if a 250 2t is the bike you want. A 250F will impress you at first with much more torque than your 125, but when the going gets rough you'll be wishing for more power. The 450 has more power than you would ever need, but coming from a 125 it's going to feel like a tank. You've stated that you love your 2t, so why not just get more of it? If your heart is set on a 4t, then go with the 450. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• swaldrop

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:18 PM

One undeniable, irreplaceable, characteristic of the big bike for which there is absolutely no substitute, IMO:

If you can hear it, it's in the power band. :thumbsup:

It's getting late... I had to read that like 6 times before it made sense.

Now that we're on the same page, that same thing could really be said for all 4 strokes. However, with the 450, you would be in the MORE power band.

• ljparton

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:44 AM

i do love my 2T.

I love the reliablility and ease of maintenance/repairs.

I just thought a 250 would be a handfull on the trail:excuseme:

I am leaning towards a 450, beacause i figure it will be plenty of power for years to come.

But i think i need to find some guys that will let me try out there bike for a couple minutes.

• kain522

Posted June 24, 2008 - 09:01 AM

i do love my 2T.

I love the reliablility and ease of maintenance/repairs.

I just thought a 250 would be a handfull on the trail:excuseme:

I am leaning towards a 450, beacause i figure it will be plenty of power for years to come.

But i think i need to find some guys that will let me try out there bike for a couple minutes.

Test rides are the way to go for sure. My answer was based on the fact that I own a YZ450 and a KTM 250, and have had the chance to compare them. I love both bikes dearly, but they have their own strong points. The 450 loves to run, but it really doesn't like tight, slow areas. On the other hand, the worse the trail gets, the more the 250 seems to thrive on it. It comes down to personal choice, but if I know it's going to be a day in the woods, I take the 250 every time.

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2008 - 09:47 AM

that same thing could really be said for all 4 strokes.

Not at all. A 250F won't pull itself out of a wash or a corner shifted two gears too high. Neither will a 2-stroke. A YZ450 will.

250F's are a whole lot of fun, but a big-bore thumper, they ain't.

• Anssi

Posted June 24, 2008 - 10:46 AM

I have an -07 YZ250F which I got after years of 450s and 250 2ts (also a couple of CR5s). Now I also have an -08 YZ450F. I'm 6'4" 200lbs. and only ride and race MX.

I definitely benefited (had to learn to ride due to lack of power) from riding the 250F for a year, but then I started to miss the power. I thought I'd keep the 250 but after riding the 450 once I felt I would never touch the 250 again. The feeling has grown stronger after riding the big bike a few more times. The power is awesome and not intimidating at all and the handling is close enough to the 250F to not really matter. Of course in the tightest corners you can't throw the bike around as easily.

Having said that, in woods or other tight trails, I would probably go with the 250F. I'm actually considering putting lights on it and riding my first enduro.

• Beaz

Posted June 24, 2008 - 11:10 AM

I was think the same thing im 6-2 220 i rode my friends 07 250f
And right there i knew it wasnt for me I bought a 08 yz450
and im happy i did although i do mostly track riding

• swaldrop

Posted June 24, 2008 - 12:46 PM

Not at all. A 250F won't pull itself out of a wash or a corner shifted two gears too high. Neither will a 2-stroke. A YZ450 will.

250F's are a whole lot of fun, but a big-bore thumper, they ain't.

If I am two gears high on the exit of a corner, I've got bigger problems than my bike being down on power :p

The 250F works for some, and doesn't work for others. For me it just feels better overall, maybe due to my weight (175lbs), or maybe just my riding style. Who knows, I may be singing a different tune after I get another one :thumbsup:

If I could justify owning both (or afford it), I would.

Again, to touch on the OPs concerns, the 250F is a much lighter bike. Riding both in the environment you will be normally riding in will ultimately be your best test.

• adamdf

Posted June 24, 2008 - 01:10 PM

at 6 feet and 215 pounds, i say go for the 450. No doubt, if you are a half decent rider, the power should be good for you, and the new 450s are light and nimble. I know the yami guys wont like this, but if you are going to be doing enduros and such, and not really any mx, then why dont you consider one of the KTM XCFs? The KTM model range is so vast when it comes to bikes for the trails that your bound to find one your happy with, plus you will get e-start which i think would be a great help if you stall in one of those tight woods sections.

If you insist on the yamis though, you cant go wrong with the YZ450 either, thats for sure. I personally think that on longer more open trails, the 250F especially for your weight might seem underpowered, more power than your 125 but come on, 125s really are slow especially for someone your size, i wouldnt want to get stuck at the bottom of a sand hill on a 125 thats for sure. Hope i helped.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.