Problems using ally-bar type Handguards

4 replies to this topic
  • Dan316

Posted December 06, 2002 - 01:59 AM

I am considering putting the aluminium bar-type handguards on my YZ250F. I am a bit worried about dirt getting in on the throttle side end of the handle-bars, where the grip has a hole for the bar-fixing. Is this a problem? Does dirt get in there when you fall on that side?

• ddialogue

Posted December 06, 2002 - 03:31 AM

I haven't had any problems with mine in the dirt. Sand can be an issue, however, because sand gets everywhere! After riding the dunes, I remove my throttle to clean and lubricate it, just in case. I'm using the Acerbis handguards with Renthal bars.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted December 06, 2002 - 02:03 PM

If you just make a good sized hole in the throttle tube, as oppossed to lopping the end off altogether, the overhang that is left will keep most of the dirt out of there.

I've been running Pro Bends for several years, only ride in the sand, and have yet to have this problem.

Hope this helps.

• luvmy426

Posted December 06, 2002 - 04:52 PM

I had the same concern prior to installing the same guards.
I have not yet had trouble, its not like the bike gets layed down in the sand very often anyway :)

• groundhog

Posted December 08, 2002 - 06:33 AM

As Hick said, I cut the hole to just touch the guard end. A little lube and no problems. Been testing too - I have rammed about every end into something.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.