Weird rear wheel bearing problem!

4 replies to this topic
  • 04WR450man

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:04 AM

Hi :p

I fitted some new (original Yamaha) rear wheel bearings at the weekend to my '04 model WR450. The problem is the wheel still has the same side to side play!
Is there anything else that wears out, I didn't replace the dust/oil seals as they looked fine, the bearings went in straight etc........... :thumbsup:

Thanks

Trev.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 23, 2008 - 07:40 AM

Is the play in the hub or the rim?

Are your spokes tight?

Is it the whole swingarm moving?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 04WR450man

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

The play is definitely in the hub, no play in the rim + spokes etc are tight. Also swingarm and linkage are all good.

Maybe I just got some duff bearings or could the spindle in the hub be damaged/worn out somehow?

Thanks

Trev.

• SJMC_DON

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

The play is definitely in the hub, no play in the rim + spokes etc are tight. Also swingarm and linkage are all good.

Maybe I just got some duff bearings or could the spindle in the hub be damaged/worn out somehow?

Thanks

Trev.

Yes, the Axle, as we call it over here could be the issue but it would be pretty evident when looking at it. The surfaces of it would have to be pretty worn out.

• Frostbite

Posted June 24, 2008 - 05:26 AM

Hi :p

I fitted some new (original Yamaha) rear wheel bearings at the weekend to my '04 model WR450. The problem is the wheel still has the same side to side play!
Is there anything else that wears out, I didn't replace the dust/oil seals as they looked fine, the bearings went in straight etc........... :thumbsup:

Thanks

Trev.

What do you mean by "side to side play"? Is the wheel moving left and right when mounted in the swingarm, or is it tipping at an angle when mounted in the swingarm?

If the bearings are the proper size - they fit snugly into the hub and the axle fits snugly through the center of the bearing, then you should not be able to "rock" or tip the wheel when mounted. Looking from behind the bike with the wheel mounted, if you push the top of the wheel to the left, and the bottom of the wheel to the right, there should be no movement.

If the wheel will slide from left to right (while still being vertical, no tipping), that would mean that the wheel assembly isn't properly filling the gap between the 2 sides of the swingarm. You may have an improperly sized or possibly a missing spacer.

Frosty

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.