How To Store Engine Out Of Frame?

8 replies to this topic
  • chambers

Posted June 23, 2008 - 03:19 AM

I am going to be taking my engine out of the frame to get it powder coated however with the frame being part of the oil loop I am wondering what the best way to store the engine without out so that it doesnt seize up? The engine will be store indoors (spare bedroom) if that makes a difference?

• William1

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:01 AM

How long? Six months? Six years?

I plug every opening by stuffing some paper towels in. I also encase the engine in a plastic bag, with the opening taped shut. Keeps bugs from making homes and reduces the likelihood of humidity from entering. I have stored engines like this in a garage for a few years with no signs of storage related problems.

• chambers

Posted June 23, 2008 - 10:35 AM

it should hopefully only be for a month or 2, will any oil need leving in it anywhere or just completely drain it. Also if oil does need to be kept in how can I keep it from gettin out?

• maxtherat

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:09 PM

The only thing that I would recommend for long term storage for your engine is the set it to TDC so all of the valves are closed. This could keep the springs equally unloaded and help keep the motor (cylinder) protected from any possible environmental changes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted June 24, 2008 - 05:57 AM

No, a fwew months you need not worry about much. Just plug the openings, seal in a big garbage bag.

maxtherat makes an excellent point about having the cams off the valves.

• chambers

Posted June 24, 2008 - 08:20 AM

Is it a stupid question to say how do I do that?

• cwf340

Posted June 24, 2008 - 08:23 AM

put it in a ice chest. without ice...

• William1

Posted June 24, 2008 - 09:55 AM

Is it a stupid question to say how do I do that?

Only stupid questions are those not asked or asked by the same person over and over.

On the left side of the engine are two plugs, one on the side of the stator cover, one on top. Remove them. With a socket on the large nut in the side hole, rotate the engine. Look through the smller one, when you see a single line, you are at TDC. May want the spark plug out when doing this to make it easier.

• chambers

Posted June 24, 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks mate will give it a go

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.