Pray for Snow!

19 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted May 23, 2002 - 05:04 AM

Never thought I would be saying that. But there is a huge forest fire dangerously close to Rampart Range here in CO. This is one of the best, if not the best, riding areas in the state. We badly need moisture and there is a winter storm watch for that area tonight. I love Rampart. If it was to go up in flames, I'd sell my bike. So please, everyone think snow! :)

• Dodger

Posted May 23, 2002 - 05:28 AM

Yo Dougie;

I'm with you dude, we need moisture in any shape or form. It would be a total shame to see Rampart go up in flames. Rampart is definately one of the premier riding spots here in CO, and I'm sure the area would be closed for some time if it ends up burnt, what a loss to the riding community that would be....

Back to my rain dance, man, somethings gotta work! :)

Dougie, check your PM's.

Dodger :D :D

• Bryan

Posted May 23, 2002 - 05:54 AM

Actually, some of the roads they have already closed are those we use to access the Woodland Park riding area (and Hacketts gulch). It's already dangerously close to those trails.
Luckily, Doug's snow wish might just come true tonight according to Kathy Sabin (she's a hotty isn't she?).

• endurodog

Posted May 23, 2002 - 06:37 AM

Ohhh yea Kathy is way hot!!! My job put me in a spot where she interviewed me last year and believe it or not she is hotter in person than on the TV, Tall, taller than me too.

I was wondering how close the fire was coming to the trails, damn. I was in Hackets last weekend. Hope they get it stopped there. They still have not opened "Top of the World" trail in Rampart after the fire 6 years ago, that was a great trail too.

• Merfman

Posted May 23, 2002 - 06:40 AM

We're still planning on camping this weekend. I'll have a firsthand report on the closeness unless it gets TOO close. From what I've seen and heard, the fires aren't that close to the actual trail system, just the roads-in as Bryan mentioned. They have 67 closed to NB traffic at Westcreek. The trails are SW of Westcreek. This puts the fire at the Southern end of Rampart.

Hopefully, we'll get some moisture..

• racemile

Posted May 23, 2002 - 06:48 AM

Enduro dog,

Top of the world was absolutly one of the best spots to ride. I grew up riding those trails. I really wish they would open that back up. I would love to have the chance to shares those trails with the wife and kids.

Do you remember trail 10, and the dirt slides around the quartz mine?

• racemile

Posted May 23, 2002 - 06:49 AM

Enduro dog,

Top of the world was absolutly one of the best spots to ride. I grew up riding those trails. I really wish they would open that back up. I would love to have the chance to shares those trails with the wife and kids.

Do you remember trail 10, and the dirt slides around the quartz mine?

• endurodog

Posted May 23, 2002 - 07:46 AM

I thought Top of the World was way cool. It was nice cause you could make a big loop down to the the South Platt and then up to Rampart Range road, if your bike had the range. That sand wash in the trail you could really fly on too. I don't remember Trail 10. I don't think we will ever see that trail opened up again though.

• Bryan

Posted May 23, 2002 - 12:09 PM

Here is a map of the latest damage. The bottom left is where I normally park to ride Hacketts gulch/Woodland Park. The top right is heading right for Rampart. It's going to be a long summer guys!
Posted Image

• Bryan

Posted May 23, 2002 - 12:26 PM

Oh, and apparently Kathy Sabin used to live right around the corner from me in Highlands Ranch (before I moved in and she got richer). Bummer! I would have volunteered to do some yard work for her! :) Maybe now she needs a pool boy? :D
Oh wait, I'm married again. I have to stop thinking about Kathy.

[ May 23, 2002: Message edited by: Bryan ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racemile

Posted May 23, 2002 - 12:31 PM

On a diet does not mean dont read the menu!!!!

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 23, 2002 - 12:59 PM

How about a picture of Kathy Sabin for us non-locals?

Oh yeah, I hope it snows up there for you guys. Nothing worse than our already scarce riding areas burning up. Here in SoCal, we had a fire three years ago burn a big part of a riding area (Devils Hole) and it is still closed. :)

• SealClubber

Posted May 23, 2002 - 05:38 PM

I didn't realize it was that close. My Tv is broke. All I knew was there was a fire up north somewhere. I wonder if the fireman need help. I am not a fireman but I could do other stuff. I will call the fire dept tommorrow and see what I can do. I just started riding in that area and would hate to miss out on trails I have yet to ride. :)

• SMD

Posted May 23, 2002 - 05:50 PM

Dougie.....i feel for ya.... all of our forests here in New Mexico are closed for fire danger.
If you are going to ride anywhere in Colorado this weekend I suggest to be on your best behavior. The forest service and our friends on the green side will be looking for any excuse to blame fires or such on the OHV community :)

• Bryan

Posted May 24, 2002 - 04:32 AM

Here's a not-so-good picture of Kathy. You have to experience her to truley enjoy her:

• Hick

Posted May 24, 2002 - 06:47 AM

Looks like it is tryin' to rain right now...

Weather Channel Animated Doppler

Next to actual rain, the weather channel is a rancher's best friend. :)

• Bryan

Posted May 24, 2002 - 07:11 AM

It looks like it's snowing on that fire! I never thought it would be 37 degrees and pouring/snowing in May (that's in Denver) and we'd all be happy about it!

• KerryT

Posted May 24, 2002 - 07:24 AM

Easy there married guy. A few days back from your honeymoon and already your checking out the weather girl!

• Bryan

Posted May 24, 2002 - 07:47 AM

I'm over Kathy. I'm just trying to enlighten other TTalk members as to her beauty!

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted May 24, 2002 - 07:51 AM

Thanks Bryan, this single guy appreciates it. Hey, if someone says shes a hottie then I want to check it out. She is a hottie!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.