the best RM250 - what model year?

40 replies to this topic
  • dtkiko

Posted June 21, 2008 - 06:57 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]hi guys, what's the BEST year of the famed yellow bike?

i feel like i need to own one... just couldn't take away my curiosity on the bike, especially now that zuk (U.S.A.) discontinued their production.

i've always bled "blue", having owned DT125s, YZ125s, and at the current i have an '08 YZ250. yet, i wouldn't mind having a yellow bike in my garage.

is it true that the best RM250 in years is the 2006 model; ricky carmichael had lots of inputs on this particular model?

appreciate your response, guys.

muchas gracias! [/COLOR]

• Dirt Addict

Posted June 21, 2008 - 11:39 PM

i think from 06 on there hasnt been much change.
i really like my 06. i feel like i can out turn my riding peers.

• ToolBoy

Posted June 22, 2008 - 01:07 AM

07 is the best of the late models

The 06 was a very snappy power hit,,they smoothed it out the 07

Perfect

But the best from 70 to 08....mmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!..not an easy pick

Toolboy

• Flamehead

Posted June 22, 2008 - 01:35 PM

2004 is my favorite.

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted June 22, 2008 - 03:03 PM

'04 to '08 are awesome YZ-esque motors. '04 and up also have Showas. Don't go older than '04.

• dtkiko

Posted June 23, 2008 - 08:51 AM

'04 to '08 are awesome YZ-esque motors. '04 and up also have Showas. Don't go older than '04.

[COLOR="Blue"]
thanks for the advice and i couldn't agree more, man... no offense (no criticsm intended only reality check), but '04 was the time when zuk started photocopying the yami engine and zuk kept tweaking it until '07 with the last porting changes done :thumbsup:

i've ridden an '03 RM250 during my last fieldbreak (actually they were selling it) and it was strong but pipey, somewhat the typical old school 2-stroke powerband... a racer's only machine where power is sweet mid-and-up.

the '05 RM250 actually is the model that actually dominated almost all magazine shootouts (transworld motocross and MXA). the KX250, on the other hand, had the nod with dirt rider magazine in 2005. by the 2006, MXA still had the '06 RM250 up, yet the '06 YZ250 took the transworld motocross and dirt rider, the same time the kayaba's SSS forks were incorporated with the bike up until now. by 2007 and 2008, it was all the blue bike now winning in MXA, apart from all magazines in previous years 2002 and 2003.

my question now is that between the '05 and '06 RM250 models, is there a lot of difference power- and suspension-wise? well handling of the RM250 is superior so whatever year model it is from 2004 and 2008 i assume it's all the same... or not?

thanks for more advice. i really wanna buy the RM250 i know is the best of them all considering all the different revisions that it had gone thru, specifically in the engine department, knowing it is not only the dominant model from amongst the 2-stroke that year, but also the most perfectly-developed RM250.

should i shoot for this sweet-lookin baby

Posted Image

...or its predecessor the '05?

many thanks![/COLOR]

• CS27

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:57 AM

I don't have much experience with the other year models but i really REALLY enjoy my 05 best bike I've ever owned.

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:58 AM

It's up to you dude, those magazines might tell you all about the differences form say the '05 RM250 and the '06 RM250, but it may feel 99% identical from the seat of the pants. Just look fro the best deal, you're going to get the RM experience with any of the above stated YZ-motor copy RM250s.

• heykenny

Posted June 23, 2008 - 11:46 AM

I've owned an 05 and loved it... I now have an 07 and love it even more.. there were subtle changes to the engine, suspension,and frame that make the newer one smoother, more tractable and easier to ride.... but I tell ya... they are subtle... if you get a deal on any 05-6-7-8 RM you'll be on an awesome ride.... they really do work very well

• Doctor DK

Posted June 23, 2008 - 09:18 PM

Subtle is not in the RMs vocabulary ...what's neat is you have all the power that you need all you have to do is adjust it to whoever is going to ride it `...........Dr.D.............

• dtkiko

Posted June 24, 2008 - 05:02 AM

Subtle is not in the RMs vocabulary ...what's neat is you have all the power that you need all you have to do is adjust it to whoever is going to ride it `...........Dr.D.............

[COLOR="Blue"]yeah, that is the thing i see about the '06 RM250 that's why i've been asking about this model a lotta times now.

i've read about it that carmichael had inputs on the engine's changes prior to its intro, and we know how RC wants it --- ubrupt, sudden rush of power at the twist of the throttle because HE CAN ALL USE IT AT ONCE! his RMZ450 had the same signature too, as related by jeff emig, when he had the opportunity to test ride it after the 2007 MX des nation.

i wouldn't wonder why some riders would be surprised and complain on the hard hit from its low-end power, while some would love it....and i know too that the low-end hit was tamed down in 2007, again, from what i've only read.[/COLOR]

• drew smith

Posted June 24, 2008 - 06:33 AM

03 and 04 are nearly the same but dont get any older that a 03 because from 02 to 03 they did a few changes to help the powerband

• shrubitup

Posted June 24, 2008 - 10:42 AM

For something really different than your YZ250 but still a smoker I'd try a KTM 300xc-w or the GasGas EC300. Also different and fun would be the Husqvarna WR250. However, I am sure that deals abound on those RMs and they are supposed to handle very well too.

Sometimes handling is better than a YZ motor. However, my 07 YZ250 handles very well. If the Zuk handles better it'd be a dangerous ride because you'd be faster/more confident on it.

• keene80

Posted June 25, 2008 - 06:52 AM

Well I own an 06 so everyone will think that my opinion is biased but I know that I have read many times that the 05 was the last year of the pipey power. Everything I have read said that the 05 was either all the way on or all the way off. My 06 is awesome for me and I know that if I were going to but another it would certainly be 06 or newer. Other than the soft clutch basket (replaced mine with a hinson) I haven't ever been able to say a bad word about my bike. But honestly I can't say that I have ever really heard anyone say much bad about any 04 or newer. If at all possible try to ride both models and see what the cheek factor tells you.

• rsbjt

Posted June 25, 2008 - 05:10 PM

I own a o6 RM 250 and love it, handles great, runs grest stock when you get the jetting straightened out.

• ebeck

Posted June 26, 2008 - 12:13 PM

I would have a hard time believing any manufacturer makes a worse bike moving forward. It is most likely that best bike is the newest you can afford condition aside.

• dtkiko

Posted June 26, 2008 - 03:13 PM

I would have a hard time believing any manufacturer makes a worse bike moving forward. It is most likely that best bike is the newest you can afford condition aside.

[COLOR="Blue"]YOU DON'T HAVE TO, MATE... IT HAPPENED -- WITH HONDA! :thumbsup:

from a piston-port configuration CR250 to a case reed engine in 2002... and it was never perfected even until production stops in '07.

the YZ250, on the other hand, remains to have the best powerband in the class -- why is that so? -- because yamaha leave the right things alone.[/COLOR]

• shrubitup

Posted June 26, 2008 - 03:22 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]YOU DON'T HAVE TO, MATE... IT HAPPENED -- WITH HONDA! :cry:

from a piston-port configuration CR250 to a case reed engine in 2002... and it was never perfected even until production stops in '07.

the YZ250, on the other hand, remains to have the best powerband in the class -- why is that so? -- because yamaha leave the right things alone.[/COLOR]

Maybe.:p

At least their suspension and handling got better than the 2001 version.

That's it. You've forced me to go out and find a 2002-2007 CR250 to ride off-road. First I heard how well the auto-clutch was on any bike used for off-road. Was skeptical but am now a believer and owner. I keep hearing how bad this modern CR's motor was. I MUST MUST ride one to know.:thumbsup:

• ebeck

Posted June 26, 2008 - 05:31 PM

[COLOR="Blue"]YOU DON'T HAVE TO, MATE... IT HAPPENED -- WITH HONDA! :thumbsup:

ha ha ha, I knew, I KNEW this would happen in this forum.

Ok I said bike not part. Any one part can be worse than the same part the pervious year but that does not make the whole bike worse. Anything like reed cage or pipe do not count since that is the firs thing that changes.

Overall handling or ergonomics or suspension... you know OVERALL the bikes get better.:p

Leave the Zuki forum and buy a Yamaha, they are the best! :cry:

• EastBoundAndDown

Posted June 26, 2008 - 05:44 PM

The '02+ CR is not a BAD motor, it is pipey. On flat ground it will walk any year YZ250, no joke. It's an animal mid-top, but it's like a 144 on the bottom. So yes, it was a downgrade, but not a BAD motor.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.