How do you clean fork seals?

4 replies to this topic
  • krackhead

Posted June 21, 2008 - 06:11 PM

Are you supposed to pop the dust covers down before cleaning the seal?

• bustersat

Posted June 21, 2008 - 06:26 PM

yup! Then clean the area below the seal really good before you start on the seals.:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hillclimbguy

Posted June 21, 2008 - 09:03 PM

Just be careful when cleaning. Dont use brake spray to clean seals. That stuff will dry out the seal and may make the contact part of the seal crack. When that happens, you are SOL and will have to replace the seals.

• yz450fguy

Posted June 22, 2008 - 08:16 PM

If they leak it is time to change them and get fresh oil anyway in my opionion.

maybe thi can help. it helped me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0dLM_IoIOQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjtQp0Ns9Qc

• corndog67

Posted June 22, 2008 - 08:24 PM

I haven't had to mess with my 06 450 yet, but on my old KTM 500MX with White Power upside down forks, they would leak regularly, and I'd pull the dust covers and get a piece of 35mm film negative, and push them up against the fork tube, and up past the seals and work them around and around and clean the dirt out, and it worked almost every time, no more leak. Its worth a shot anyway before tearing them down.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.