Dr. D exhaust questions

8 replies to this topic
  • Big Jim

Posted June 21, 2008 - 04:43 PM

Since everyone raves about this exhaust, I was wondering if I could get some input from users. I was looking at these exhausts on motosport.com and the prices seem reasonable. Which exhaust seems to be the best for the money? I was looking at this one first:
http://www.motosport...fineValue~Dr. D
Look at the low price and savings. There is a blurb about repacking being an issue with the carbon canister, is this a problem?

Also I was looking at :
http://www.motosport...fineValue~Dr. D

What are your opinions?

• marty72

Posted June 21, 2008 - 05:03 PM

I would recommend the stainless steel/aluminum DRD. Look at btosport.com, they have it for $439. The carbon canister is lighter but it's a lot less durable and does require more frequent packing. I've heard as often as every 4 hours but you should confirm that. The engine performance is the same for either the stainless steel or the carbon and the system is amazing on the 08 YZ450F. But then again, anything is better the 08 stock exhaust.

http://www.btosports.com/p/DRDSS

• Big Jim

Posted June 22, 2008 - 02:10 PM

Does anyone else care to comment? $372 for the carbon system is a great deal imo.

This was taken from the Dr. D website:
[COLOR="Blue"]The Carbon Can should not be run with the quiet insert, and attention needs to be paid to the condition of the silencer packing on a regular basis to increase the life of the Carbon Fiber. [/COLOR]

I emailed them and got this response regarding repacking (carbon system more often than stainless):
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Where did you read that ? We recommend you repack about every 15 to 20 hours depending on what kind of riding you are doing.[/COLOR]

• krackhead

Posted June 22, 2008 - 02:59 PM

I have seen lots of cabon fiber pipes bust pretty bad in crashes, they are not as durable as Stainless. the only reason for them is weight and looks. But yes, thats a good price for a carbon

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • krackhead

Posted June 22, 2008 - 03:00 PM

Heck now that I think about it, MRD custom makes you a pipe for where you want the power and he repairs for the life of the pipe, so if you crash and send it to him he will fix for free. I hear his pipes are awesome. And its about 350-400 for a MRD pipe

• MX926

Posted June 23, 2008 - 05:20 PM

Can't go wrong with the DR. D Stainless system. Carbon fiber looks nice, but I have had them, used them, and watched them crack and break into an un-useable state. Stick with the staineless for the dollar value.

• psmith85

Posted June 24, 2008 - 07:49 PM

I am very happy with mt Dr.D pipe on my 08. In fact it solved a small jetting issue that I could not fix with the pilot or needle. I would buy another if need be.

• Bigcr

Posted June 24, 2008 - 08:01 PM

The Dr. D system is great. It works like it is supposed to, is affordable, and their customer service is awesome.

• steve_97060

Posted June 25, 2008 - 04:00 PM

The Dr. D system is great. It works like it is supposed to, is affordable, and their customer service is awesome.

+1 :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.