'08 Scotts stabilizer tower - Pics

26 replies to this topic
  • KAS

Posted June 21, 2008 - 01:59 PM

Got my new Scotts stabilizer tower mounted up today. It fits great. I'd even recommend using it on an '06 or '07, it works so good. Little more expensive though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2008 - 05:03 PM

There's a lot to be said for the new tower design vs. the "old" '06/'07 one. It's a bit more complicated to mount, but once the crown nut is replaced with the Scotts one, it's easier to remove/reinstall than the original design was. Plus, it should be less likely to wiggle out of position (basically shouldn't be able to move at all) and will help keep water away from the head bearings. If I were buying one for my own '06, I'd use it instead of the first design.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=651799

• KAS

Posted June 21, 2008 - 05:30 PM

Yup. Waaaaay more sano than the clamp-style old tower.

• hillclimbguy

Posted June 21, 2008 - 09:06 PM

I have an 06 and that looks just like the one my bike.

• grayracer513

Posted June 22, 2008 - 06:04 AM

Look at the pictures in the link I posted. I have an '06, too, and it's not like that. The part you can see in KAS's pictures is, but the part you can't see is much different; there's no clamp.

• KAS

Posted June 22, 2008 - 08:17 AM

hillclimb,

Like gray said, there is not clamp, and it doesn't fit around the steering head, it sits on top of it, and is held down by the triple clamp.

• NorCal

Posted June 22, 2008 - 08:24 AM

Looks a helluva lot better than my GPR mount.

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 23, 2008 - 11:26 AM

And people gave me crap about putting a hour meter in my bar pad because it reduces the safety quality of it...Man, if you go into the bars...Ouch...
Makes me second think the ugly ones that go in front of the number plate might be the wise choice...

• grayracer513

Posted June 23, 2008 - 11:36 AM

And people gave me crap about putting a hour meter in my bar pad because it reduces the safety quality of it...Man, if you go into the bars...Ouch...
Makes me second think the ugly ones that go in front of the number plate might be the wise choice...

You can use a SUB mount if that worries you, which places the damper under the bars (and raises the bars an inch)

• Aka.Goose

Posted June 23, 2008 - 11:46 AM

Yeah, I'm no stranger to falling hard...The submount might go on the want list...I'd like the bars to be raised anyway, as I'm 6'2" and use a tall seat...
Plus I really don't like the way the front mount ones look like a mad scientist tinkered with your bike...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stepdaddy

Posted June 24, 2008 - 08:38 PM

Loard thats nice...ive got to start saving pennys ao next year when im ready to race i have one.

whats your view after you paied scott and went riding...worth the coin?

• grayracer513

Posted June 24, 2008 - 09:25 PM

My opinion of the Scotts damper is simply that after you ride with one two or three times, you won't want to ride without one.

• mavis0826

Posted June 25, 2008 - 11:24 AM

I have two questions, does it move the upper clamp up higher? Will this set up work on a 07 wr450?

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2008 - 12:06 PM

It does move the top triple clamp higher, but not significantly. Notice the exposed threads in the crown nut in KAS' picture and compare it to yours; not much difference, is there?

I see no reason why it would not work on an '06/'07 YZF, or an '07/'08 WR.

The only problem might be if the drop from the stem to the tank mount was a different distance on the '08 YZF compared with the other bikes, and that, I don't think would keep it from being usable.

• 1998YZ400F

Posted June 25, 2008 - 03:02 PM

my tower for mine is welded to the frame. not sure if its supposed to be like that but the PO had it that way.

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2008 - 03:43 PM

my tower for mine is welded to the frame. not sure if its supposed to be like that but the PO had it that way.

Yours is a steel frame. That's a completely different bike, and unrelated to the application of the dampers to the late model frames.

• Windseeker

Posted June 29, 2008 - 10:29 PM

Finally got mine on Saturday! Installed and tested it on mx track on Sunday. :p

I know it makes huge difference on stony (realy stony) tracks or nose diving in dunes (fun trail adv etc riding, enduros) - but I didn't get into the situation to check it on a smooth mx track...

Can any mx riders share how they find damper useful? :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• vinilla gorilla

Posted June 29, 2008 - 10:33 PM

I've been looking to get one for offroading. Does it make a big difference?

Sorry to hijack.

• knucklehead

Posted June 29, 2008 - 10:40 PM

Sorry to hijack.

i just mounted mine today (scotts dampner) and took it on a test spin and to be honest i dont know if i can tell a difference or not. i would like to say it's awesome since i spent some serious coin on the dampener, bps sub mount, bps top triple, new protaper, grips, throttle tube, and atek bar inserts.
the bars raised an inch is fantastic though - i dont feel like a gorilla when i stand now.

• Windseeker

Posted June 30, 2008 - 01:12 AM

Sorry to hijack.

It has been voted several times as the ( or the second) useful mod for the off road rides. It really helps with the arm pump, steering straight on stones, ruts you name it. Often it saves a day when the bike suddenly hits a hidden (huge) rock or lands on the front wheel at a critical angle (as jumping small dunes). All this happened to me and I had a few chances to appreciate the device. Then last 4 months I rode without one and felt all the pain... :thumbsup:

Mega avatar, btw :p

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.