Best tire for desert riding?

7 replies to this topic
  • bansheeater1

Posted June 21, 2008 - 10:28 AM

I have an 07 yz 450f and my stock tire is worn down. What is the best tire for riding in the desert and with a few rocky hills? Thanks.

• Birdy426

Posted June 21, 2008 - 10:33 AM

Though opinons on tires are like opinions on oil, I have had great success with the MAxxis Desert IT on the rear. Not too pricey, good traction in most conditins, and wears like iron. Also, I've never flatted one. Stay away from the ITs onthe front, though..they are like riding on marbles. I run a Maxxis SI on te front and it's not too bad.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2008 - 12:03 PM

Dunlop 952 rear. Same wear as the Maxxis or better, and better traction, lighter weight.

Use it with a D755 front, or a 952.

• BBrown626

Posted June 21, 2008 - 02:46 PM

Maxxis IT, but it will chunk in rocky terrain like up at Stoddard. Great for Ocotillo or Plaster City.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • redrider2500

Posted June 21, 2008 - 02:49 PM

I have the maxxis desert it on my bike and i ride desert and mx and it works great. It also has a slow wear time. I really like this tire, and this would be a great desert tire.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2008 - 05:09 PM

Having used both, the 952 is definitely better for desert use.

• hillclimbguy

Posted June 21, 2008 - 09:00 PM

Go with the Maxxis in the desert. I ride more single track than desert, so I run the IRC M5B. But thats me.

• angrybob

Posted June 21, 2008 - 10:22 PM

I ride an '06 yz450 in the AZ desert which is pretty much like riding on granite - 50% trails & 50% rocky single track. I currently have a set of 952's. I like the front a lot. Grip in the loose stuff is surprisingly good. Hard terrain is no problem either except the side knobs are showing some tearing.

I like the grip on the rear, but the life is not good enough. I have about 10 hours of trail riding and the tire is toast for dry surfaces - about 60% gone and mosly chunked. I will probably go another couple of rides because in the blazing summers here I only ride after it rains and traction is not really an issue.

I had a Maxxis IT on my '05 yz250 and saw almost no visible wear in five rides on the same trails. Yeah, I get it about four-strokes being harder on tires.

I had a 426 for five years and the only tire that survived out here with decent traction was...ahem...the Cheng Shin C755. They are just hard to find now that rocky mtn doesn't carry them any more.

I have another 952 rear to go through and I will probably try the Maxxis.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.