Raising forks on 08 yz 450

5 replies to this topic
  • krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted June 20, 2008 - 07:56 PM

I have read a lot about raising the forks 5mm in the clamps to help with the push that I am feeling with my bike. I did that this afternoon but I am not sure if I did it right. It looks like my forks are too close to my handle bars. Do I just take the grove that is right at the top of my trees and move it up 5mm? Also I read about gray mooving the bars forward and higher. Do I need different trees or bar mounts to do this. I can't see how it can be done with the stock trees or mounts? sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for any help.

• Family Man

Posted June 20, 2008 - 08:20 PM

try putting your bars at +1 on the bar guide as opposed the the stock 0. raise your forks to the first line its probley 1/4 inch from stock.

• psmith85

Posted June 21, 2008 - 06:17 AM

You can move your forks up in the clamps until they almost hit the bars without any worry. Once they are moved up, you will find it hard to adjust the compression screw without a very narrow screw drivers. I moved my forks up and it helped with the steering issue, but once I got rid of that POS front tire I was good to go. $60.00 for a new tire is well worth the investment and check the TPS every ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2008 - 06:51 AM

check the TPS every ride.

The Throttle Position Sensor? :thumbsup:

• krzyaszwhiteboy

Posted June 21, 2008 - 08:46 AM

try putting your bars at +1 on the bar guide as opposed the the stock 0. raise your forks to the first line its probley 1/4 inch from stock.

When you say line are you talking about the groove, because there is only one groove. Now there are very fine lines that seem like they are there more for a texture than anything. Sorry for sounding so stupid but over the years I have learned so much about bikes and so little about suspension. I have been reading a lot of books about suspensions and everything just seems to contradict everything else. I want to become a suspension master.

• grayracer513

Posted June 21, 2008 - 11:58 AM

Yes, he means the machined groove, and there are two of them, at 5 and 10mm.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.