Stalling my 08 YZ450?

5 replies to this topic
  • racerdale

Posted June 20, 2008 - 07:11 AM

I race harescrambles and run the pro-class.I am having trouble stalling the bike on square edged bumps and sometimes into corners.I have been racing a two stroke for years and been on this 450 for about 8 months.Is this just me getting use to it,or is there something I can do to help problem?I tried a rekluse and was still stalling the bike.A friend says I am running to high a gear and it is loading up on me.Any help would be greatly appreciated.The bike is completely stock.Thanks

• krackhead

Posted June 20, 2008 - 07:14 AM

Its probably a combo of jetting being off and running to high of a gear in the corner. My 08 is dialed in with jetting and it never stalls unless I do something stupid. But I am higher elevation so my specs wont help you.

• llamaface

Posted June 20, 2008 - 08:04 AM

I have similar issues with my 4-stroke, which I blame on me being a spaz that mostly rides 2-strokes. If you're stalling with a rekluse tho, something is wrong and you need to fix it. Turning the idle up slightly helps me, as does pulling in the clutch coming into corners when I'm hard on the rear brake.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • krackhead

Posted June 20, 2008 - 08:16 AM

I have similar issues with my 4-stroke, which I blame on me being a spaz that mostly rides 2-strokes. If you're stalling with a rekluse tho, something is wrong and you need to fix it. Turning the idle up slightly helps me, as does pulling in the clutch coming into corners when I'm hard on the rear brake.

this could be opinion, but at the MX class I took the pros said they would remove rear breaks if we used them. 80% of breaking is front 15% is engine, 5% rear. I have always been in the habit of using my front, I really struggle trying to use my rear.

• grayracer513

Posted June 20, 2008 - 08:59 AM

You're brake stalling, by the sound of it, but as llama pointed out, that shouldn't be happening with a Rekluse.

But, two things that contribute to it are low idle speed and rich idle mixture. Low idle speed is obvious enough. But just as a lean mix makes the idle "hang", excessive richness makes the engine stumble when the throttle is chopped. Add a little in there, and you're parked. If you went with a fat pilot to eliminate all traces of decel pop, or to allow the engine to tolerate a ridiculously quick stab at the throttle, you are probably richer than the correct mixture.

And, of course, part of it's your fault. You have to learn not to brake stall the bike (clutch work, and develop a feel for when the engine is turning too slow), and learn to flip the clutch to restart on the fly more quickly. If you do it right, they fire right back up, and no one will even notice it was dead.

• psmith85

Posted June 21, 2008 - 06:22 AM

I think that you need to start with your jetting. I am located at sea level and with very low humidty and just messed with the needle clip and the main jet. I went up 4 sizes on the main with the stock pipe before I felt I was going to rich. This is an easy thing to change.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.