Oil question on 04 yz 450?

7 replies to this topic
  • patm

Posted June 18, 2008 - 06:10 PM

i have a 04 yz 450 and just found out that there were a couple of places to drain the oil out of. i only used the one under the engine. it doent have any problems runing or anything but how bad is this on the motor?

• SBRacing

Posted June 18, 2008 - 06:53 PM

dont be lazy .. pull all the plugs alot of oil hides in the steal frame bikes...

• krackhead

Posted June 18, 2008 - 07:27 PM

i have a 04 yz 450 and just found out that there were a couple of places to drain the oil out of. i only used the one under the engine. it doent have any problems runing or anything but how bad is this on the motor?

I read that yamaha designed it that way for the people who didnt keep up with maintinence to make the motor last longer. I doubt you did any damage if you were draining say a quarts worth and putting a quart in. My friend has an 05, bought it new, is a fast B rider, he changes his oil once, maybe twice a year and cleans his filter next to never and that bike still runs like a champ. Although i am positive when it goes its gonna be toast.

• grayracer513

Posted June 18, 2008 - 09:29 PM

That's the wrong way to go about it. You must drain both the tank and the crankcases.

http://www.thumperta...903#post5221903

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • krackhead

Posted June 19, 2008 - 04:37 AM

Yes I forgot to say, it is the wrong way to go about it, but since you didnt know there are two drains you are probably okay, but you would be best served to run out there and drain both the frame and motor, change your filter and fill it up with some good oil.

• patm

Posted June 19, 2008 - 06:46 AM

thanks will do

• bajamoto

Posted June 19, 2008 - 09:17 AM

I read that yamaha designed it that way for the people who didnt keep up with maintinence to make the motor last longer. I doubt you did any damage if you were draining say a quarts worth and putting a quart in. My friend has an 05, bought it new, is a fast B rider, he changes his oil once, maybe twice a year and cleans his filter next to never and that bike still runs like a champ. Although i am positive when it goes its gonna be toast.

some people have a new bike change the oil every 10 hours etc. and have it fail.

while yz's are known to be bullet proof, your friend is just plain lucky.

• krackhead

Posted June 19, 2008 - 10:30 AM

some people have a new bike change the oil every 10 hours etc. and have it fail.

while yz's are known to be bullet proof, your friend is just plain lucky.

Oh I agree he is lucky. I know the 06 and newer seem to be the ones that people are not so lucky with. my 08 has been solid so far. But I change oil every three to four days of ride time.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.